Press Release from Rory Lancman re Class Size requirements for NYC

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2007

      From: Rory Lancman [mailto:rlancman@...]
      Sent: Sunday, April 01, 2007 1:46 PM
      To: nyad25@...
      Subject: Press Release: Class Size

      LEGISLATURE PASSES BUDGET REQUIRING NYC TO LOWER CLASS SIZES

      STATE EDUCATION COMMISSIONER GIVEN POWER TO ENFORCE PROVISION

      April 1, 2007

                  Over Mayor Bloomberg’s fierce resistance, NYC will be required to reduce its overcrowded class sizes under the budget passed today by the state legislature (A.4307-C), a priority of the Assembly throughout the budget negotiations.  Specifically, NYC is required to execute a plan to reduce class size over five years, to be enforced by the New York State Commissioner of Education.  Lowering class size was one of the three actions which the courts found were necessary in the Campaign for Fiscal Equity lawsuit, which held that NYC’s children were being unconstitutionally denied a sound, basic education.  The Assembly got the ball rolling with the introduction of A.6063, sponsored by Assemblyman Rory Lancman and Assembly Education Committee Chair Cathy Nolan , and co-sponsored by over fifty-five Assembly Members, and by the subsequent passage of class size reduction requirements in the Assembly’s one-house budget bill.

      “Speaker Sheldon Silver and the Assembly Democratic Majority provided a great deal of leadership and direction on this issue, and I believe this legislation gives parents an opportunity to hold the City of New York accountable on class size, where classes are so much larger than the rest of the state,” said Assemblywoman Cathy Nolan .

                  Assemblyman Rory Lancman said, “Governor Spitzer and the legislature are ensuring that the historic increase in state education aid being sent to NYC is directed toward the one educational improvement that both the courts, parents and common sense tell us will have the biggest impact – lowering class sizes.  In order to guarantee our children’s future, we need to make NYC’s overcrowded classrooms a thing of the past, and we have now provided the City with the resources and the direction to do just that.”

      – end –

      Rory I. Lancman

      Member of Assembly, 25th District

      718-820-0241 (District)

      518-455-5172 ( Albany )

      917-363-9004 (Cell)

      rlancman@...

    • Beth Bernett
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2007
        mazel tov Leonie! and to all the rest of us as well. for once, the
        people have spoken and someone has listened. enjoy your holidays
        everyone!
        BB
        On Sunday, April 1, 2007, at 02:04 PM, Leonie Haimson wrote:

        <image.tiff>

> [...]
      • Gary Babad
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1, 2007
          Ditto! And there's now a new card for the "Children First" game: A "Leonie Haimson/Class
          Size Matters" card. If you draw this card, you get to organize all the other players and
          thwart the "Chancellor's" nefarious plans.

          -Gary

          --- In nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com, Beth Bernett <bbernett@...> wrote:

          > mazel tov Leonie! and to all the rest of us as well. for once, the
          > people have spoken and someone has listened. enjoy your holidays
          > everyone!
          > BB
          > On Sunday, April 1, 2007, at 02:04 PM, Leonie Haimson wrote:
          >

          > > LEGISLATURE PASSES BUDGET REQUIRING NYC TO LOWER CLASS SIZES
          > >
          > > STATE EDUCATION COMMISSIONER GIVEN POWER TO ENFORCE PROVISION

        • tammie k
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 1, 2007
            In CNY we have 16 children to 1 teacher and it works well

            Gary Babad <gbabad@...> wrote:
            Ditto! And there's now a new card for the "Children First" game: A "Leonie Haimson/Class
            Size Matters" card. If you draw this card, you get to organize all the other players and
            thwart the "Chancellor' s" nefarious plans.

            -Gary

            --- In nyceducationnews@ yahoogroups. com, Beth Bernett <bbernett@.. .> wrote:

            > mazel tov Leonie! and to all the rest of us as well. for once, the
            > people have spoken and someone has listened. enjoy your holidays
            > everyone!
            > BB
            > On Sunday, April 1, 2007, at 02:04 PM, Leonie Haimson wrote:
            >

            > > LEGISLATURE PASSES BUDGET REQUIRING NYC TO LOWER CLASS SIZES
            > >
            > > STATE EDUCATION COMMISSIONER GIVEN POWER TO ENFORCE PROVISION

            Looking for earth-friendly autos?

          • Karen Koenig
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 2, 2007

              Unfortunately, too late for some of our kids who are in high school, but something to look forward to for the younger ones.  Something interesting I found out over the weekend - went to pick my daughter up at John Bowne HS on Sat. evening (she just got back from FFA sub-states competition).  There is construction going on in the teacher's parking lot.  When I asked her what was going on, she said they weremaking room for more traiers.  Interesting considering that since freshman year (she is a junior) there are about 500 less kids in the school.

              Karen K.

              This message is being sent from a law firm and may contain confidential or privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message and any attachments without retaining a copy.

            • Betsy
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 2, 2007

                Are they putting in another school/program into John Browne?

                I had a nightmare last night. I dreamed that Klein, in order to get around the law in terms of lowering class size, squeezed two-three “new” small schools into every existing school in NYC, so that kids were squashed outside the classroom, and all extras were taken away., such as art, music, AP classes, gym time, etc.

                Betsy

              • Karen Koenig
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 2, 2007

                  I don't know.   I do know that they new principal is not enamored of the Agriculture program (which my kid is in) and there are rumors abounding that would love to get rid of it.

                  I am going to do some snooping around at the next PTA meeting.  I am so glad we only have one more year of high school.  Between all this and looking for colleges, I am going to have a breakdown.

                  Karen K.

                  "Betsy" <betsy@...>
                  Sent by: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com

                  02 April 2007  09:17 AM

                  Please respond to
                  nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com

                  nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com
                  cc
                  Subject
                  RE: [nyceducationnews] Re: Press Release from Rory Lancman re Class Size requirements for NYC

                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 2, 2007

                    Last year, as many of you know, NEST+M was going to be sharing the building with Ross Global Charter School after a secret deal was made by the BOE and Ross Institute. We, the parents, were not going to be told. A friendly source in Albany on Lobby Day suggested we look into Ross, and when the PTA did, they saw that it was a “done deal”

                    Our protest was very loud and quick, and I remember the day Garth Harries came to look over the new building and pick the rooms they wanted – we put him into the auditorium for more than 1 hour, showered him with questions and protests. He said NEST+M was a “plant” (as in factory”) that was half empty, and he kept changing the number of kids in the building in hundreds. It made no sense. The data on how many kids could fit into the same building changed within days? Then the BOE changed the numbers again and again? In fact, I don’t think they came up with the same capacity numbers twice. Gotta look at your building codes, folks.

                    But it was the busing that really got to us. As the City of NY gives free yellow school busing to charter/nonpublic/private kids, in grades k-5 no matter where you live, the Ross Charter kids were going to be bussed for free to/from their homes and NEST, but the NEST kids were forbidden from getting on these buses. Charter schools also are supposed to re-cycle, and public schools are not required to do this, so I was going to make a poster of two garbage cans throughout the school, one labeled “Ross garbage” and one labeled “NEST garbage”. Then Klein would have set up a new discipline code, with a suspension for choosing the wrong one, like if you are 4 and cannot read…

                    Betsy

                    "Betsy" < betsy@parentadvocat es.org >
[...]

                  • Jim Devor
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 2, 2007
                      It seems that the class size piece of the legislation is a bit of a punt in that it is left to the the State Education Commissioner to promulgate regulations implementing the class size reduction.  Nevertheless, as noted by the AQE spokesperson in the NY Times article, the legislation clearly places class size reduction as a major priority of State education policy. It's our job now to keep the momentum going and to parry the inevitable efforts of the Bloomberg administration to derail the process.

                      That the Legislation limits the  State courts' role in enforcemnt of the Class Size reduction initiative doesn't diturb me as much as it does others because:

                      1.       After the Court of Appeals massacre of the CFE suit,   I have little faith in the Court's ability to fashion helpful remendies;

                      2.      Under a Democratic Governor who seems at least somewhat commited to educational equity, I have more faith in the ability of the Education Commissioner to geti it more closely right,  and

                      3.     As a democrat, I have always believed that this has and should be a POLITICAL struggle requiring the engagemnt of parents and other stakeholders.    The legislation provides a needed victory and a further framework for continuing that struggle.

                      Finally, as a side note, my superficial perusal of the legislation appears to satisfy one of my pet hobby horses -  the attempt by the Chancellor to gain an unrevieswable piece of the Charter School franchse dispensing authority.    An extra tip of the hat to Assembly member Nolan for keeping Klein's nose out of that trough.
                      Jim Devor                                           jimdevor@...