OFIA

  • Shino Tanikawa
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 1, 2010
      Ojeda Hall was at the "public hearing" for A-190 in Manhattan.  I got a distinct sense that the DOE is moving toward working more closely with community based organizations rather than PTAs, SLTs and CECs.  Santy Taveras is supposed to work with CBOs.  Ojeda's background is solidly rooted in CBOs.

      Interestingly, I rode the subway with someone from the Portoflio Planning and she said there was no organizational chart and she didn't know who was who.  I guess OFIA can't get anything out to the public before they themselves can figure out which way is up?

    • Monica Major
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 1, 2010
        And I asked Nydia Portilla, the Bronx rep, "What has that got to do with student achievement"?  Why is the DOE trying to cure the ills of the world?. Just do your part Educate."  Again just another way to blame others for the lack of abilities  at the OF???????

        --
        Monica Major, Bronx Rep
        Panel for Education Policy
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 1, 2010
          If they are reaching out to CBOs and not to the PA/PTA, SLT and CEC, they can effectively divide a community creating a reserve of support outside of the school for things like teacher bashing and charter school placements. Not a bad strategy. A lousy way to run a school system, but a great way for the administration to weaken any residual community support for the local school.

          --- In nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com, Monica Major <Majorm766@...> wrote:

          > And I asked Nydia Portilla, the Bronx rep, "What has that got to do with
          > student achievement"? Why is the DOE trying to cure the ills of the world?.
          > Just do your part Educate." Again just another way to blame others for the
          > lack of abilities at the OF???????
          >
          > On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 6:52 AM, Shino Tanikawa <shinot@...> wrote:
          >

          > > Ojeda Hall was at the "public hearing" for A-190 in Manhattan. I got a
          > > distinct sense that the DOE is moving toward working more closely with
          > > community based organizations rather than PTAs, SLTs and CECs. Santy
          > > Taveras is supposed to work with CBOs. Ojeda's background is solidly rooted
          > > in CBOs.
          > >
          > > Interestingly, I rode the subway with someone from the Portoflio Planning
          > > and she said there was no organizational chart and she didn't know who was
          > > who. I guess OFIA can't get anything out to the public before they
          > > themselves can figure out which way is up?
          > >

          > --
          > Monica Major, Bronx Rep
          > Panel for Education Policy
          > majorm766@...

        • Dee Alpert
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 1, 2010
            NYSED does the same thing.  While it claimed that it had consulted with parents when it created (concocted) its RttT application, examination of the appendix listing the "stakeholders" with whom it had consultations showed no real parents' groups were on the list.  Organizations paid, sometimes by NYSED, to train, work with (and sometimes keep in control) parents, yes.  Actual groups of parents themselves were entirely absent from the list.  Folks who discovered this omission (and flat out lie) erred in not making a big public stink about it at the time.  If you let NYSED get away with sleazy feints, you can be sure you'll see districts all over NYS taking the hint and doing the same things.

            It pays in these circumstances to check out and make public lists of the local and state agencies which fund these CBOs.  I think you'll find, and can publicize the fact, that the NYCDOE works with outfits which get government funding which it either controls or can influence, while it does not work with groups, including organized groups of parents, whose funding it cannot influence and or control.

            If CBOs want to become NYCDOE paid lackeys, so be it.  But they should be prepared to take the heat.  And folks might want to talk to these CBOs' boards of directors about why they're working with the NYCDOE on issues of significant concern to parents when formal, official parent groups within the NYCDOE such as PA/PTAs, CECs, etc. have been pragmatically excluded from the consultations.  Of course, whenever the NYCDOE makes public anything re its work with these CBOs on issues where legit. parent groups were excluded, media alerts should be issued ... .

            Dee Alpert

            On 11/1/2010 8:35 AM, Ellen wrote:

            If they are reaching out to CBOs and not to the PA/PTA, SLT and CEC, they can effectively divide a community creating a reserve of support outside of the school for things like teacher bashing and charter school placements. Not a bad strategy. A lousy way to run a school system, but a great way for the administration to weaken any residual community support for the local school.

            --- In nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com, Monica Major <Majorm766@...> wrote:

            > And I asked Nydia Portilla, the Bronx rep, "What has that got to do with
            > student achievement"? Why is the DOE trying to cure the ills of the world?.
            > Just do your part Educate." Again just another way to blame others for the
            > lack of abilities at the OF???????
            >
            > On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 6:52 AM, Shino Tanikawa <shinot@...> wrote:
            >

            > > Ojeda Hall was at the "public hearing" for A-190 in Manhattan. I got a
            > > distinct sense that the DOE is moving toward working more closely with
            > > community based organizations rather than PTAs, SLTs and CECs. Santy
            > > Taveras is supposed to work with CBOs. Ojeda's background is solidly rooted
            > > in CBOs.
            > >
            > > Interestingly, I rode the subway with someone from the Portoflio Planning
            > > and she said there was no organizational chart and she didn't know who was
            > > who. I guess OFIA can't get anything out to the public before they
            > > themselves can figure out which way is up?
            > >

            > --
            > Monica Major, Bronx Rep
            > Panel for Education Policy
            > majorm766@...

          • Lisa Donlan
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 1, 2010
              Shame on any group that takes the bait!

              Do not let DoE create  back channels- we want our democracy back and it starts with US!

              Join your PTA/SLT/DLT/ CEC?CPAC and help empower them rather than divide and conquer for the DoE!

              Lisa Donlan

              To: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com
              From: mchgh_lln@...
              Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 12:35:02 +0000
              Subject: [nyceducationnews] Re: OFIA

              If they are reaching out to CBOs and not to the PA/PTA, SLT and CEC, they can effectively divide a community creating a reserve of support outside of the school for things like teacher bashing and charter school placements. Not a bad strategy. A lousy way to run a school system, but a great way for the administration to weaken any residual community support for the local school.

              --- In nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com, Monica Major <Majorm766@...> wrote:

              > And I asked Nydia Portilla, the Bronx rep, "What has that got to do with
              > student achievement"? Why is the DOE trying to cure the ills of the world?.
              > Just do your part Educate." Again just another way to blame others for the
              > lack of abilities at the OF???????
              >
              > On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 6:52 AM, Shino Tanikawa <shinot@...> wrote:
              >

              > > Ojeda Hall was at the "public hearing" for A-190 in Manhattan. I got a
              > > distinct sense that the DOE is moving toward working more closely with
              > > community based organizations rather than PTAs, SLTs and CECs. Santy
              > > Taveras is supposed to work with CBOs. Ojeda's background is solidly rooted
              > > in CBOs.
              > >
              > > Interestingly, I rode the subway with someone from the Portoflio Planning
              > > and she said there was no organizational chart and she didn't know who was
              > > who. I guess OFIA can't get anything out to the public before they
              > > themselves can figure out which way is up?
              > >

              > --
              > Monica Major, Bronx Rep
              > Panel for Education Policy
              > majorm766@...

            • Lisa Donlan
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 1, 2010
                any examples, Dee, of the groups  NYCDOE works with which get government funding which it either controls or can influence?

                To: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com
                From: sappell@...
                Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 08:47:54 -0400
                Subject: Re: [nyceducationnews] Re: OFIA

> [...]

                > student achievement"? Why is the DOE trying to cure the ills of the world?.
                > Just do your part Educate." Again just another way to blame others for the
                > lack of abilities at the OF???????
                >
                > On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 6:52 AM, Shino Tanikawa <shinot@...> wrote:
                >

                > > Ojeda Hall was at the "public hearing" for A-190 in Manhattan. I got a
                > > distinct sense that the DOE is moving toward working more closely with
                > > community based organizations rather than PTAs, SLTs and CECs. Santy
                > > Taveras is supposed to work with CBOs. Ojeda's background is solidly rooted
                > > in CBOs.
                > >
                > > Interestingly, I rode the subway with someone from the Portoflio Planning
                > > and she said there was no organizational chart and she didn't know who was
                > > who. I guess OFIA can't get anything out to the public before they
                > > themselves can figure out which way is up?

              • Dee Alpert
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 1, 2010
                  Take a look at the NYSED RttT application and the groups it lists which allegedly have something to do with parents, usually parent training.  Then search NYSED's web site for these groups and/or see whether they are sited in colleges or universities.  NYSED also handles IDEA funds to P&As for spec. ed. parent support, advocacy, representation, etc.  Our lead P&A in NYS, the Com'rn. on the Quality of Care, no longer will do anything re school abuse of children with disabilities.  Its corruption re its "investigation" of The Anderson School, a residential school for kids with autism, was documented in a past NYS Inspector General investigatory report.  The sub-P&A which handles a lot of legal referrals and does some representation, NYLPI, has taken a "see no evil" position re NYSED's protection of school abuse of children with disabilities in the use of physical restraints and seclusion, which I feel is nothing short of appalling.

                  It's unheard of for a P&A to be frank about how it is bullied by its state ed. dept. because of the threat of fund cutoff.  I was confidentially told by one person associated with one of these in NYS that when it did something NYSED didn't like, one of its contracts was summarily cancelled.  On lists for professionals in the school-disability field, attorney who used to work for some P&As have been quite up front and frank about the ways in which their state ed. depts. have attempted to limit and control their work by using threats of contract cancellation, delays, cutoffs, etc.

                  You can also just ask the groups which appear to have some dealings with parents listed in NYSED's RttT application appendix whether they get NYSED funds or federal funds allocated by NYSED directly or indirectly.  And since NYSED has tremendous regulatory authority over graduate schools of education, you should assume that NYSED can influence any and all of these at will.

                  We desperately need an independent Inspector General with full authority (including subpoena power) and budget to look into all aspects of NYSED's functioning.  And for the CBOs which the NYCDOE works with/claims it works with on issues where legitimate parental involvement should be required, one would also want to look at whether Bloomberg, via one of his foundations, has made donations.  For past years, these can be found on guidestar, www.guidestar.org, which makes nonprofits' tax returns public.  (It's free but you must register.)

                  Dee

                  To: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com
                  From: sappell@...
                  Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 08:47:54 -0400

> [...]

                  > student achievement"? Why is the DOE trying to cure the ills of the world?.
                  > Just do your part Educate." Again just another way to blame others for the
                  > lack of abilities at the OF???????
                  >
                  > On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 6:52 AM, Shino Tanikawa <shinot@...> wrote:
                  >

                  > > Ojeda Hall was at the "public hearing" for A-190 in Manhattan. I got a
                  > > distinct sense that the DOE is moving toward working more closely with
                  > > community based organizations rather than PTAs, SLTs and CECs. Santy
                  > > Taveras is supposed to work with CBOs. Ojeda's background is solidly rooted
                  > > in CBOs.
                  > >
                  > > Interestingly, I rode the subway with someone from the Portoflio Planning
                  > > and she said there was no organizational chart and she didn't know who was
                  > > who. I guess OFIA can't get anything out to the public before they
                  > > themselves can figure out which way is up?

                • Jane Reiff
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 1, 2010
                    Click Me!
                    Maybe it is time to get the NPTA out in the forefront and strenghen them. They focus on the parent groups that we are about.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 19, 2010
                      OFEA or OFIA a rose is a rose is a rose...forget them. They aren't yoru leash holders, your handlers. They are public employees working for the public in NYC....much to their own surprise I am sure.
                    • Ellen
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 12, 2011
                        follwing are some emails between myself and Ewel. For your information, OFIA will be "training" CECs in February. Does everyone realize there will be elections again in May of 2011?

                        NYS School Boards Assn has done past trainings for the CECs. However, at each training NYSBA has been surprised to learn that CECs do not have the same responsibilities as school boards:

                        i.e.

                        * CECs do not hire District Superintendents, whereas the boards do

                        * CECs do not negotiate contracts, whereas the boards do

                        * CECs do not determine budgets, whereas the boards do

                        The folks from NYSBA are always at a loss when they are asked questions specific to NYC issues. In fact a few times there have been some very unpleasant rumblings from the participants about this.

                        To Ewel Napier
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 12, 2011

                          OFIA is a complete was of money.  Ewel Napier ad Lori Butera were totally ineffective in resolving my problems with Gerry Waterman the past president of the PTA at Bayside High School who decided to increase the pay of  instructors for a SAT course without any approval of the board.  It was probably done so his son with poor grades could receive favorable treatment from his teachers.

[...]

                          From Ewel
[...]

                          No virus found in this message.

                        • Harvey Beringer
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 12, 2011

                            OFIA is a complete waste of money.  Ewel Napier ad Lori Butera were totally ineffective in resolving my problems with Gerry Waterman the past president of the PTA at Bayside High School who decided to increase the pay of  instructors for a SAT course without any approval of the board.  It was probably done so his son with poor grades could receive favorable treatment from his teachers.

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 12, 2011
                              I have spent so much time and energy to give input to this office, under its many names and leaders ( I joined as Karen Fueher stepped down, so Jemina Bernard, Tom Hueser, Martine Guerrier , and even Maura Keaney before she hired Ms. Hall), not to mention the many junior minders assigned to CEC One)  on  training- content/best practices/timing, etc.

                               yet it seems to me they repeatedly offer the same trainings over and over ( roles/responsibility, chancellors regs) but have stopped providing  us with the law, or the tools to complete the Capital Plan or to undertake zoning - the few mandates CEC's do have.
                               And it seems the trainings usually citywide or borough wide are always on Tuesdays (which does no t work for me) or on a night of a long-scheduled PEP or my own CEC meeting) so I usually have to miss most of them.

                              I have sat with these folks in various combinations to suggest various training cycles, or how to partner experienced CEC members with DoE folks to do a balanced training, etc. I have offered so many suggestions, to so many "ears," but I have never ever seen this office manage to incorporate any of it.
                              (unlike SCA that has made a half dozen accommodations for CECs, at my suggestion,  to improve the  CEC hearing/input process).

                               The last OFEA training I attended at the start of this 2 year term we were given a booklet that had no law ( it was still being negotiated) no Regs ( were being rewritten- for 3 years) , and provided little of substance.
                              Worse than that- there was never any follow up- no law, no Regs, no trainings were offered as the last long transition between names/leaders/of this agency  morphed on.
                               OFEA, in its many names and guises has presented many different power points and compacts and service agreements with promises of  many changing missions and purposes and services- none of which have ever been delivered upon in any meaningful way.

                              I don't know what theses well meaning individual do all day but I can tell you that the global results and the ones we can see from the ground  are very very very poor.

                              Lisa

                              To: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com