RE: [nyceducationnews] RE: charter schools are allowed to do their own test scoring

    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 1, 2010

      Dee: In previous eras, no matter what SED did or did not do, there was indeed a more honest administration at the Bd of Ed.

      Bob Tobias, head of testing, imposed systems to check for cheating and erasures; and when he thought the results came out wrong, even if the scores were too high, he would send them back to the testing companies to check.

      Sure, there were lots of problems, and SED has always had a overly lax attitude towards oversight.

      But there are big differences in the way this administration deals with the issue of cheating compared to previous ones; when there were people with real integrity at the BOE.

      New York , NY 10011
      212-674-7320
      classsizematters@...
      www.classsizematters.org
      http://nycpublicschoolparents.blogspot.com/

      Subscribe to the NYC education news by emailing nyceducationnews-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      From: "Paola de Kock" <Paoladekock@ verizon.net>

      Sender: nyceducationnews@ yahoogroups. com

      Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2010 13:52:52 -0400

      To: <nyceducationnews@ yahoogroups. com>

      ReplyTo: nyceducationnews@ yahoogroups. com

      And don’t high school teachers grade their own students’ Regents exams?

      From: "Leonie Haimson" <leonie@...>

      Sender: nyceducationnews@ yahoogroups. com

      Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 23:34:41 -0400

      To: <nyceducationnews@ yahoogroups. com>

      ReplyTo: nyceducationnews@ yahoogroups. com

      Even so, the social studies and science exams are considered far less important than the state ELA and math exams;  few pay attention to the results and the scores are rarely reported in research studies.  Indeed, the social sciences exam will be eliminated next year.

      The charter schools base their supposed superiority on their results on the ELA and math exams; and since they are allowed to score these  exams themselves, this evidence should now be put in significant doubt.

      From: "Leonie Haimson" <leonie@...>

      Sender: nyceducationnews@ yahoogroups. com

      Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 21:52:06 -0400

      To: <nyceducationnews@ yahoogroups. com>

      ReplyTo: nyceducationnews@ yahoogroups. com

      Turns out that NYC charter schools are allowed to do their own scoring of the state exams – no mention of any oversight by DOE or SED.  Even though practically every NYC charter school brags of their high scores, and numerous studies financed by the charter school lobby show higher results for NYC charters, this fact has never been mentioned before.

      One really wonders how much these results can be trusted.

      Apparently they all score their own science and social studies exams, and the charter center provides a centralized location for ELA and math scoring,  with “software” to see that charters do not score their own exams, but even then , they can turn it down and keep it in house.

       NEWS: The case of the early test scores and resulting confusion

      When the New York Post ran a story last week praising a Harlem charter school network’s test scores, a few principals wondered why their own schools’ scores hadn’t arrived.

      State and city officials were also puzzled. City students sat for the science and social studies exams only weeks ago and the state won’t release the results for months, so how did Harlem Village Academies have their scores?

      Harlem Village Academies Chief of Staff Matt Scott explained that because the network grades its own tests and the state publishes scoring guides online, it was able to figure out how its students fared in advance of the state’s official release. According to the network, all of its eighth grade students passed the state’s science and social studies exams this year.

      “We do not release test scores for Science or Social Studies until the school report cards for 2009/2010,” said SED spokesman Tom Dunn. “They are not scheduled for release until next winter. The charter school promoted their own performance.”

      The early release highlights the different ways that charter and district schools grade their students’ state tests.

      Charter schools can grade their own students’ exams because in the eyes of the State Education Department, each charter school is treated as its own school district, or “local education agency.”

      New York City’s district schools grade their tests collectively, as they’re all part of the same local education agency. Every year, the city pulls teachers out of their classrooms to grade state tests — these could belong to their school or other schools — but in most cases charter schools grade their own.

      The exception is the math and English exams. Most of the city’s charter schools grade these tests together as part of a consortium run by the New York City Charter School Center . Similar to district schools, each charter school that participates sends teachers to grade for several days, though the Center uses software to ensure that teachers do not grade their own schools’ exams, said Charter Center head James Merriman. But the grading consortium is optional and charter schools must pay for the service, so some schools choose not to.

      New York , NY 10011
      212-674-7320
      classsizematters@ gmail.com
      www.classsizematter s.org
      http://nycpublicsch oolparents. blogspot. com/

      http://www.huffingt onpost.com/ leonie-haimson

      Subscribe to Class Size Matters news by emailing classsizematters- subscribe@ yahoogroups. com

      Subscribe to the NYC education news by emailing nyceducationnews- subscribe@ yahoogroups. com

    • deealpert
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1, 2010
        I believe it was Tobias who blew off Comptroller McCall's audit report and recommendations re NYC Bd. of Ed. procedures re test answer sheets.  Specifically, McCall noted that teachers were supposed to collect kids' answer sheets, eyeball them for "stray marks" etc., and then submit them.  McCall reported that this allowed teachers who wished to do so to insert answers to questions kids hadn't or couldn't answer and was thus a serious flaw in the system.  Tobias claimed that the NYC Bd. of Ed. did erasure analysis, which allegedly sufficied:  McCall responded by noting that erasure analysis wouldn't pick up teachers bubble-ing in answers kids hadn't answered at all.  So I'm not going to deal with  claims of better test integrity in the NYC Bd. of Ed. in the old days ... because I go by official audits and responses.

        That being said, there's no question that the current NYCDOE has negative integrity levels - but it's not just re tests - it's re just about everything and it's appalling.  It's called "tone at the top" and for all intents and purposes, there is none.  But since NYSED knows all about this, and knew it back then, and did nothing, I rest on my case that the fish rots from the head and the head is in Albany.

        NYSED finished an "audit" of the validity of the Roosevelt district's high school data back in 2007.  I know what they found and you can be sure that there was and is no legitimacy to anything reported out of that district and never was - both before NYSED got the power to run it directly and after it took over the district.  I FOIL'd this audit report in 2009 and received a lovely reply:  my FOIL demand was rejected by NYSED because "either" the audit hadn't been completed (it had) or it hadn't been presented to the Board of Regents (it had, but informally, to avoid having to do it formally and make the audit report public).  If this is what you get out of the one district NYSED has the legal authority to operate, why should or would you expect anything better from the NYCDOE?

        NYSED doesn't have an "overly lax" attitude towards oversight.  It's attitude, as expressed by what it actually does, was and is crystal clear:  NYSED does not exert authority to oversee and insure compliance with law or regulation regarding anything of any importance in any district in NYS at all.  Never has; never will.  We just get fancier spin from NYSED these days, but then it's taken the line on that from Bloomberg and Klein, who is, by report, best pals with Chair of the Bd. of Regents Merryl Tisch.

        There were no good old days.  There's just more scrutiny now than then.  Back when Ned Regan published his audit documenting widespread adult cheating on Regents and RCT test grading, I was told that I was the ONLY person who requested a copy from the Comptroller's Office.  These days, when I pick up on such things (and others do as well, I'm happy to note) and news about them is circulated, people have learned to read them to see what they really say.  That's the difference ... and we can thank Enron for it.

        And I do.

        Dee

        From: "Paola de Kock" <Paoladekock@ verizon.net>

        Sender: nyceducationnews@ yahoogroups. com