Urgent! make one call today to save class sizes from exploding next year!

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2010

      The mayor and the City Council have agreed on a budget that will cut millions of dollars from our schools; meanwhile, the Legislature and the Governor are still fighting on how much to cut in state education funding. In schools throughout the NYC, teachers are already getting “excessed,” which will lead to sharp increases in class size next year.  Here in NYC, our children already suffer from the largest class sizes in the state and some of the largest in the nation.

      But we still have a chance to minimize class size increases for next year; but only  if you act today.

       Rep. Obey, head of the House Appropriations committee, has introduced an amendment in Congress that would save thousands of teacher jobs, using funds from $500 million cut from the federal “Race to the Top” grant program, $100 million from federal funding for charter expansion; and $100 million from teacher merit pay.

      None of the programs that may be cut are research-based, according to the National Academy of Sciences, and unlike reducing class size, they have little support from most public school parents or educators.  The amendment is being considered on the floor TODAY!

      SO please PHONE YOUR MEMBER OF CONGRESS TODAY, by calling the Congressional switchboard at (202) 225-3121.  Tell your member of Congress that you strongly SUPPORT the Obey amendment to save teacher jobs, and support cutting from “Race to the Top” and federal subsidies for charter schools to do this.  CALLS are necessary as they have far more impact, and they may not get around to reading emails today.

      If you have time, however, after calling, you can follow up with an email.  For your Congressperson’s email, just plug in your address here: http://www.lwvnyc.org/TRY_find.html and copy your message to Speaker Pelosi at AmericanVoices@...

      Sample message:  I strongly support the Obey amendment to save teacher jobs and prevent increases in class size next year, by cutting Race to the Top funds and charter school expansion.  We don’t need more experiments on our kids; we need to protect our class sizes instead.

      For more on the Obey amendment, see http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/campaign-k-12/2010/06/house_dems_trim_race_to_the_to.html .

      You can also check out our earlier letter to Congress from parents across America about the importance of listening to parents and reducing class size here: http://www.classsizematters.org/ESEA_letter_to_Congress_5_5_10_final.pdf

      But please call today!  NYC children need and deserve a better chance to learn.

      And please forward this message to others who care,

      New York , NY 10011
      212-674-7320
      classsizematters@...
      www.classsizematters.org