DOE still hiring new teachers

  • leonie@att.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2010
      • First, second, and third year new schools can fill 40% of vacancies with new hires.

      http://schools.nyc.gov/TeachNYC/whatsnew/WhatsNew.htm

      WHAT'S NEW

      April 19 Application Deadline

      The New York City Department of Education's second application deadline for new teacher applicants is Monday, April 19, 2010 at 5PM. Individuals who meet this deadline, and who are both eligible and meet our New Teacher Finder screening criteria, will be eligible to be interviewed for our TRQ Select program if they are certified in an appropriate subject area and meet our pre-screening standards. Candidates who apply after this date will not be eligible to interview for this special program.

      For more information on application deadlines and requirements, please visit our Applying and Getting Hired channel. Our final application deadline for teachers seeking employment for September 2010 is June 30, 2010.

      Hiring Guidelines

      Please note that these hiring guidelines are for the current 2009-2010 school year. No decisions have made for hiring regarding the 2010-2011 school year.

      Due to budget constraints, NYC Department of Education (NYCDOE) schools are currently restricted in making new teacher hires. At this time, schools must fill most vacancies through the internal transfer process, meaning they can only consider current NYCDOE teachers who apply to change schools or who are in excess.

      There are some exceptions to the hiring restrictions. These exceptions include the following:

      Schools

      • First, second, and third year new schools can fill 40% of vacancies with new hires.
      • All District 75/97 schools can hire new teachers and pupil personnel clinicians (guidance, social workers, and psychologists) in any subject.

      Subjects

      • All bilingual teaching subjects except bilingual elementary/early childhood- Spanish. Teachers selected must hold a valid bilingual extension issued by the New York State Education Department.
      • All sciences (general science (grades 6-8), earth science, chemistry, and physics) except biology.
      • All special education teacher certifications.
      • All speech and language disabilities certifications.
      • Gifted & Talented (G&T) vacancies in approved Gifted & Talented programs. Teachers selected must hold a valid G&T extension issued by the New York State Education Department.
      • English as a second language - elementary vacancies only.
      • All bilingual pupil personnel (guidance, social workers, and psychologists) areas.
      • All monolingual school psychologists.

      The NYCDOE's hiring restrictions will continue to be updated on this page.