Re: [nyceducationnews] Gov. Paterson freezes money to schools

  • seung
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2010
      I believe this is our opportunity to demand cutbacks on the bloated DOE and all it's
      bureaucrats - essentially debilitating the bloomklein machine.  I mean, why keep these useless data zombies fed, at the cost of students in the classroom?!
       On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 5:52 PM, Leonie Haimson <leonie@...> wrote:

      Also video at the link:

      Gov. Paterson freezes money to schools

      Updated at 05:37 PM today

      Dave Evans

      NEW YORK (WABC) -- School districts that were expecting money from New York State are going to have to wait a little longer.

      Governor David Paterson is delaying billions of dollars in state aid, saying the state simply doesn't have the money.

      Paterson says he's holding off until June 2 for the school funding and also, he's freezing all road construction projects.

      "Right now our financial picture is so vulnerable that we have to consider everything in order to keep the state from becoming bankrupt," Paterson said.

      The vast majority of school districts across New York can wait a few weeks on state payments, but the worry is this is just a hint of things to come.

      Leonie Haimson has a son in 6th grade, and she's worried not about a delay in money this spring, but what might happen in the fall.

      "So it's like a perfect storm; big budget cuts, big increase in enrollment, it's got to lead to larger classes and that's one thing we cannot afford to do in this city," said Haimson. "We already by far have the largest classes in the state."

      Robert Jackson sued 14 years ago because city schools were funded unfairly.

      Now, given the horrible financial picture, he's willing to cut Albany some slack.

      "I am not happy about it, believe me, but realistically, if that's what has to happen to get it to come in," said Jackson.

      A lot of the govenor's fellow lawmakers agree Paterson doesn't have a lot of choices right now with what he has to cut.

      And the governor is getting frustrated. Some state lawmakers have even said things aren't that bad, but the governor says they're wrong.

      "We've been saying this for months, and some of our agencies have been in denial, they've heard us say it and now they're shocked," said Paterson.

      (Copyright ©2010 WABC-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)

      Subscribe to the NYC education news by emailing nyceducationnews-subscribe@yahoogroups.com