RE: [nyceducationnews] Bronx boss choice for Regents: NY Press

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 3 1:30 PM

      Instead of complaining, we should all be lobbying hard w/ Silver’s office for good candidates – as Luis Reyes surely would be.

      Of course, the Regents have been distant and unaccountable; of course, there should be more consultation w/ parent groups and advocates.  But it’s our job to organize and do what we can to change that.

      By the way, I didn’t see anyone picked for Spitzer’s education advisory board who was any more involved in what’s really going on in our schools.  There wasn’t a single real life public school parent or advocate that I can remember.

      To contribute to Class Size Matters, please click here.

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 3 6:17 PM
        In some states these positions are elected as is the state ed commissioner. Washington state I believe is one as a person I know ran on an anti high stakes testing platform there (and didn't win).
        Can we do worse by making them accountable? I've known of way too many appointed political hacks in the past.
        Norm

      • Stevensfamilylrs@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 3 6:53 PM
          Norm- I am not making a case for election of Regents but that notice of vacancies, resume submission dates, public interviews, job-related requirements, candidates, and the recommendation of any of the interviewers on the Education Committee be subject to a transparent process so that the public will be aware of the actions of the Speaker and the back door politicians so that they can be held accountable.

          In this general regard, we really need to widely publish the votes of our state legislators on the State Controller vote identifying those who voted for DiNapoli and demand an explanation of why they did not vote for any one of the three qualified candidates identified by the bi-partisan search panel.

          We are disappointed that the "Education Governor" did not take the Speaker and his Democratic colleagues to task as he has said that he will be the steam roller for reform and against those vested in the status quo.

          Granville