Handmaiden to Discrimination - NEWS: Steiner, King and Hughes to lead New York's Race to the Top team

  • David Bloomfield
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 13, 2010
      In the just-issued Almontaser decision, the EEOC found that New Visions "concurred in DOE's judgment that she should resign and acted as agent in advising her to do so . . . . In the course of its advisory services to the Community Superintendent in the selection process, it concurred in DOE's conclusion that the circumstances of her resignation were such that continuing her candidacy was not desirable." at p. 7.  Thus, while New Visions was found not liable since it was not in an employment relationship with Almontaser, it served as willing handmaiden to her illegal discriminatory dismissal "on account of her race, religion, and national origin."  At 8.

      -David

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 13, 2010

        For those who are interested in the EEOC decision, which is very readable, it is posted at http://graphics8.nytimes.com/packages/pdf/nyregion/EEOC_Determination.pdf

        New York , NY 10011
        212-674-7320

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 13, 2010
          She was NOT fired for race, religion, ethnicity, etc.
          She was fired for political reasons. And IMO educational reasons. She did not know how to handle a most sensitive issue in NY and the USA...and in part because she does NOT understand what Intifada means NOW! Not a word: it is for many a disaster! And while Randi was over the top, she had a point.
          Meanwhile, Debbie IS associated with some questionable groups and she refused to answer when asked if Hamas and Hezbollah and the 9/11 hijackers/killers are terrorist...her privilege but perhaps UNWISE in our society!
          Debbie was a disappointment and NOT transparent IMO when I met her.
          All in all, she would have been good perhaps at Gibran, then again maybe not!
          And now they seem to have appointed an experienced Arab educator/professional, which is very good.

          These are tough times! Beware!
          No doubt that in some ways Debbie was victimized. She has a lawsuit so we shall see...
          And all citizens need to feel that our public schools are responsive to parent and community and American needs and aspirations.
          Even Dov Hikand KNOWS that Richard---and he does control votes the Mayor needed!
          Politics is often brutal as you all know well :).

          Thanks, Neal

          Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

          From: "Leonie Haimson" <leonie@...>
          Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 16:26:11 -0500
          To: <nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com>
          Subject: [nyceducationnews] almontaser decision

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 13, 2010
            David---the EEOC decision is flawed IMO.
            And please do see Daniel Pipes since 2007 on Gibran and Debbie...
            They set her up, true, but she also was/is vulnerable on account of her own attitudes and commitments.
            It is also just---but importantly!---politics.
            I watched Donna Nevel on video too---she is just not accurate at all IMO.

            Thanks, Best, Neal

            Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

            From: "David Bloomfield" <davidb@...>
            Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 15:20:07 -0500
            To: <nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com>

          • melmeer1@verizon.net
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 14, 2010
              Anyone who would offer up Daniel Pipes as a voice of objectivity loses all credibility on these issues IMO.

              Melvyn Meer

              PS:  Just to clarify my own position, I am not in favor of opening schools that cater to particular ethnic communities and languages, be they Arab, Asian, Hebrew or other.  The "melting pot" model is good enough for me.  On the other hand, especially in this City there should be more choices for language study particularly in middle schools.  In may of the City's middle schools Spanish is the only available, and required, foreign language.

              From: "David Bloomfield" <davidb@brooklyn. cuny.edu>
              Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 15:20:07 -0500
              To: <nyceducationnews@ yahoogroups. com>

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 14, 2010
                MM---I do not think that anyone can be 'objective' about these issues...in fact, my Masters at Columbia was on "deep subjectivity" in political science
                and social science research: "Qualitative Methodologies in Social Science Research: The Observer as the Instrument of Research"...!
                So you may not agree with Pipes or like him even...but you cannot discredit him on the basis of objectivity...and my credibility is up to you anyway!

                Debbie walked into a situation where her own attitudes and outlook killed her...it was a political mess...and who do you know who is objective about
                the Israeli situation, about "intifada", about what we are doing here in the US post-9/11...Pipes for example reports that Debbie sent $2,000 to then US Rep
                Cynthia McKinney, who IMO is an apologist for terrorists, her privilege but not my wont. Debbie also refused to answer if she thought Hamas and Hezbollah and the
                9/11 killers are terrorists...her privilege, but not 'smart' in NYC at this time.

                Language study in NYC public schools has always been very uneven...and overall, quite poor IMO...I studied Latin at Stuyvesant for 4 years, good...but I missed
                taking Spanish, French and German until College (Columbia, where the classroom teaching was also very uneven!). I think they should start language instruction---as
                they do in the private schools I know---in Kindergarten!

                65% of the students at Stuyvesant are Asian and most probably all at least bi-lingual. My kids are in 5th, 7th and 10th grade and take Spanish and French...but not
                enough and not fluent...which is not good. The Russian/USSR immigrants to the US are also bi-lingual...So: in this new world, it is important that language be emphasized.

                The Arabic LANGUAGE school got caught up in the Islamic religion/culture/madrassa/terrorism mess we have now...People are afraid and they should be of anything
                close to Islamic fundamentalist views and terrorist actions...It is sorta akin to a Hebrew language school that might be controlled/overly influenced by the Israeli
                settler movement people, who are considered 'terrorists' by some/many!

                I agree that the "melting pot" is ideal, while at the same time I instill a strong Jewish and humanitarian identity for my kids, who also are enabled to make their own choices!

                As I wrote, the new DOE appointment at Gibran is an Arab-American NYC educator/professional and so let's see how that works! I had heard that Reichert was also good...

                I also wrote to David that the EEOC report is flawed: Debbie was not discriminated against on account of anything other than her politics and politics in NYC...She was
                set up, but her attitude/personal preferences also did not help her...and that's what I saw when I met her with the Islamic educators at Ansche Chesed...it was a most
                disturbing meeting where it was obvious that language is not the only issue with Gibran: the Islamic factor is very important to these folks.

                The new Principal has a great challenge to make good now. I think he can do it if he is able.

                Best, Neal

                 Neal H. Hurwitz
                NY, NY
                nealhugh@...