Re: [nyceducationnews] Re: Class Size and Teacher Contract Exception

  • norscot@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 31, 2006
      The half clsss size exeption has been a battle of contention within the UFT since the arly 70's when it was used to "justify" high class sizes. In small elementary schools with few classes on a grade it was "legal" to push class size over 40.
      The other argument, space, is one that can be "solved" by coming up with solutions that involve adding extra personnel - even if 2 teachers in a large class. Not easy in high schools but better than 1 teacher with 38.
      Klein often attacks the UFT contract. Even if the class size contract items have large loopholes without even these weak provisions he would push class sizes to 50 since there is no  belief at the DOE that small classes are important. I wonder if Klein would send his own children to class sizes of 38?
      Norm

      In a message dated 8/31/06 11:12:58 PM, MrrandleAAS@... writes:

      I realize this might be a previous subject of discussion, but a reality of new york city high schools is the trend to create small schools within schools... small learning communities. c

      I work in a small high school in new york city and a small high school does not mean small class sizes... 34 or more in a class and why?

      because the teacher contract has an exception to the class size cap of 34 in high schools... the exception found in Article 7M3 in the 03-07 contract states:

      An acceptable reason for exceeding the maximum class size limitations.An acceptable reason for excee

      a. There is no space available to permit scheduling of any additional class or classes in order to reduce class size.  (This allows a class to start in September with 35, 36, or 37 students after the ten days that administrators get to rectify class sizes... but this also means that when a student transfers into the school in December that class can become 38...)

      What this means is that all of these small schools are limited by space, financial resources, and staff to reduce class sizes...

      I'm in a school of 650 9-12 grade and every 9th grade class is at 34 or above...

       J. Randle

    • Jane Reiff
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1, 2006
        The problem with NCLB is that the High Schools  do not cap the total population to the detriment of the staff and students as well as administration and safety. If we have leveled the playing field why do we continue to overpopulate the schools and say NCLB warrants us to do so.
        Jane D25

        In a message dated 8/31/06 11:12:58 PM, MrrandleAAS@ aol.com writes:

[...]

        Upgrade your email with Emoticons! Click Here!
      • Gabriella
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 1, 2006
          I've read that a "study" was done some time in the 50s or 60s or 70s by, I believe, a
          professor at Teachers College, that showed that class size had no bearing on student
          achievement. (I wish I could remember more details. But I'm sure I've read it — I wouldn't
          be able to make up something like that.) It just goes to show that you can prove anything
          with a a well-designed study.
          (heavy sarcasm)

          --- In nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com, MrrandleAAS@... wrote:

          > I realize this might be a previous subject of discussion, but a reality of new york city
          high schools is the trend to create small schools within schools... small learning
          communities...
          > I work in a small high school in new york city and a small high school does not mean
          small class sizes... 34 or more in a class and why?
          > because the teacher contract has an exception to the class size cap of 34 in high
          schools... the exception found in Article 7M3 in the 03-07 contract states:
          > An acceptable reason for exceeding the maximum class size limitations.. may be any of
          the following:
          > a. There is no space available to permit scheduling of any additional class or classes in
          order to reduce class size. (This allows a class to start in September with 35, 36, or 37
          students after the ten days that administrators get to rectify class sizes... but this also
          means that when a student transfers into the school in December that class can become
          38...)

          > What this means is that all of these small schools are limited by space, financial
          resources, and staff to reduce class sizes...

          > I'm in a school of 650 9-12 grade and every 9th grade class is at 34 or above...
          >

          > J. Randle

          ei=5094&en=464fd41a24d29901&hp=&ex=1157083200&adxnnl=1&partner=homepage
          &adxnnlx=1157033052-KACx409lNzKB/13GaE6NKw