A Mixed Review For Bloomberg On Staten Island »

  • leonie@att.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2010
      Quantcast looks like its going to be another long four years....for more NYers than just us.

      I can't remember a time that a newly elected mayor came in with more negatives.

      The Daily Politics

      by Elizabeth Benjamin

      January 1, 2010 5:54 PM 3 Comments

      A Mixed Review For Bloomberg On Staten Island »

      By Elizabeth Benjamin

      The DN's Frank Lombardi followed the mayor to Staten Island for one of the post-inauguration volunteer projects that took the place of a reception and filed the following report (as told to DN City Hall Bureau Chief Adam Lisberg and posted by yours truly).

      Bloomberg took 2 p.m. "Spirit of America" ferry to Staten Island, accompanied by SI BP James Molinaro, Deputy Mayor Patti Harris, and his girlfriend Diana Taylor. He bought a bag of popcorn from the booth on board.

      Commuter Elena De Santis of Staten Island, a paraprofessional at PS 127 in Brooklyn, shouted out: "When are we going to get our raises?" Bloomberg mumbled in response: "I'll try."

      De Santis said later: "We need some money. We're all suffering. We need a raise. Our city's suffering. It seems everything's gotten expensive but our salaries."

      As Bloomberg left ferry, a well-dressed man called out: "Congratulations! A win again." The mayor thanked him, but, as it turns out, the comment was not meant to be taken seriously.

      "That was sarcasm," said Mark Stone, a professional magician. "I would like to see him fall off the front of the boat. We have term limits for a reason. I don't know what he did with the Council, but they caved in on term limits."

      The group disembarked and walked to SI Borough Hall, where volunteers were packaging toiletries, magazines, batteries, etc. to be shipped to service members in Afghanistan & Iraq.

      Jimmy Bacolo, 63, a retired Staten Island ferry repairman and Vietnam veteran, was happy to see Bloomberg, telling Lombardi: "It's very nice. It's good. This way he gets in with the community, with the people. I like the mayor."