Using ATRs and "Disciplinary Center" Teachers to Grade State Tests

  • melmeer1@verizon.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2010
      Happy New Year to everyone on this listserve and especially to Leonie
      who makes it all possible. The listserv and Leonie--two fabulous resources!

      There is an extended email discussion in NE Queens regarding taking
      teachers out of the classroom so that they may grade state ELA and math
      tests. An effort is being mounted here to seek help from local elected
      officials to oppose the DOE on this issue. It will come before our
      Community Board (Queens 11) on Monday evening and proceed from there to
      other local CBs and CDECs. Among things being discussed is if teachers
      on full salary in "disciplinary centers" (or rubber rooms) can be
      assigned to do the grading.

      Apparently Joel Klein remarked that the UFT contract would prohibit
      that. But I know that just because Klein says something, that doesn't
      necessarily mean that it is so.

      I reviewed the UFT contract (which is on line), especially its Article
      21, Due Process and Review Procedures. I can find in it no prohibition
      against using teachers suspended with pay for this purpose. It may be
      that there is a judicial decision I don't know about that mandates this
      prohibition. I would appreciate any information from a knowledgeable
      source. It seems almost criminal to take teachers out of the classrooms
      and NOT use these teachers for this or a similar purpose.

      At one point in a similar discussion someone made an analogy to a police
      officer placed on some sort of suspension with pay because of an alleged
      misconduct. Generally such an officer, though relieved of his normal
      responsibility, is given a desk job pending the outcome of his
      disciplinary process.

      Similarly for ATRs.

      Mel Meer
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2010

        Thanks for the kind words Mel; of course the DOE could and would assign the approximately 1,000 teachers on ATR to scoring exams, if they really cared about our kids.

        Last year when Patrick asked them why they didn’t use the ATR teachers for this task, the accountability office responded that they wanted the highest quality teachers to score exams – in one fell swoop, slandering the ATR teachers who are on absent reserve through no fault of their own, and at the same time, revealing how the DOE considers scoring tests more important than allowing teachers to stay in the classroom to teach our kids.

        Perhaps Patrick can share with us the email from the Accountability office from last year.

        Happy New Year to all and let’s hope for a far better one than 2009.

        New York , NY 10011
        212-674-7320
        classsizematters@gmail.com
        www.classsizematters.org
        http://nycpublicschoolparents.blogspot.com/

        Subscribe to the NYC education news by emailing nyceducationnews-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 1, 2010

          Last year when Patrick asked them why they didn’t use the ATR teachers for this task, the accountability office responded that they wanted the highest quality teachers to score exams
          This leads to another factor. ATRs have less of a stake in the system getting higher scores than teachers pulled from the classroom who are subject to some level of the fear factor - kids score lower and your school will close and you too will become a despised and vilified ATR. The anger of rubber room teachers would exacerbate this effect even more.

          Thus we will never see these teachers used this way because they are less likley to go along with "the program" of easier grading - there is a scratch on the test paper - give the kid a 3.

          Best,
          Norm Scott
          normsco@...
          norscot@...
          917-992-3734
          Blogs: http://ednotesonline.blogspot.com/
          http://normsnotes2.blogspot.com/

          Subscribe to Class Size Matters news by emailing classsizematters- subscribe@ yahoogroups. com

        • monica_ayuso@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 1, 2010
            The budget cuts this year warrants another review of this policy. Did any CEC include this issue in their Annual Report 2009?

            Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

            From: "Leonie Haimson" <leonie@...>
            Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 11:56:12 -0500
            To: <nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com>

            http://www.huffingt onpost.com/ leonie-haimson

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 1, 2010
              Thanks for reminding us that the ATR teachers are not in fact guilty of anything until charged, "tried" and found so.  They could be you or me.  But, indeed, I think the idea of their being given decent choices of useful work to do would be a good idea.  Better yet would be to remember thay constitutional requirement for appropriately speedy justice.   In the meantime we need to take every opportunity possible to remind others that no one is as yet gulty of anything--even incompetence.  What is sure is that they annoyed (properly or improperly) their boss, and that they are probably sufficiently senior so that cheaper teazchers can fill their plaes.  What data do we hae on theor status?

              Deb

              --
              Deborah Meier
              deborah.meier@...

              Also visit Meier and Ravitch on  Ed Week Blog at http:/blogs.edweek.org/edweek/Bridging-Differences/
            • Deborah Meier
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 1, 2010
                Leo--

                But what is the DOE's vs the UFT's explanation about why this Rubber Room process takes so long?  What provisions in the contract enable this to happen?  The same thing happened to my daughter, but it would have been resolved within a year--at most--and by that time they came to a settlement.  f course the AFT contract in Massachusetts (the town she tught in) may be very different.  They fired her at short notice and cut off her pay and she had to appeal.

                Where did the term rubber room come from.

                I ask all this because the power of that Brill story is amazing and it gets brought up to me oer and over and I want to overwhlemthe the next time with my detailed knowledge!  Did you or some else write a detailed reply to Brill?

                Deb

                On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 7:10 PM, Leo Casey <lcasey@...> wrote:

                ATR is an acronym for Absent Teacher Reserve. ATRs are teachers, both tenured and probationary, who were excessed from their schools for any one of a whole host of possible reasons. Most often, they were teachers in a closing school and were unable to find a regular appointment in another school, but they could also have been excessed for budgetary reasons, because the school lost population or because the program in which they taught was phased out. ATRs are -- contrary to the spin out of Tweed -- satisfactory teachers. In the ATR pool, they are supposed to be covering classes of sick teachers on a daily basis. In fact, today many ATRs -- maybe even a majority -- are actually teaching regular classes. In either case, they would not be free to grade exams.

                Tenured teachers are sent to the reassignment centers [A.K.A. rubber rooms] when they are accused of a serious misdeed or accused of incompetence. [A probationary teacher would be dismissed.] In most cases, they remain in the rubber room until actual charges are preferred against them, leading to a 3020a dismissal hearing and a finding of some sort. There are, however, a number of teachers who are sent back to schools without charges ever being preferred. The obvious conclusion is that they should never have been removed, although we have yet to see a principal disciplined for an inappropriate removal. Although teachers in a reassignment center could be given a work assignment, the DoE probably thinks this would undermine their claims of incompetence.

                Leo Casey
                Vice President, Academic High Schools
                United Federation of Teachers
                52 Broadway, 14th Floor