RE: [nyceducationnews] FW: NYC = College Prep, Not Just Test Prep!

  • Barbara Gross
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 8, 2009

    Hi, actually class size reduction is a part of CEJ’s full platform though it is not a leading part.  It is under the section on supporting principals and teachers.

    In addition, we are not asking teachers for more of their time without more money.  CEJ’s proposal calls for Expanded Learning Time to be implemented only in schools that opt-in with teacher consent and calls for all staff to be fairly compensated.  We have met with teachers in many settings and with the UFT leadership who support our platform.  While CEJ is a parent-led coalition, many teachers are a part of it.

    I’m attaching the full platform. We’d be happy to meet with anybody who wants to learn more about what CEJ is proposing.  Please be in touch with us with any questions or comments.

    Barbara

    Message 2 of 8 , Dec 9, 2009
      Good news.  Thanks, Barbara.  I apologize for getting nervous.

      Deb

      [Attachment(s) from Barbara Gross included below]

      --
      Deborah Meier
      deborah.meier@...
      Visit my website: http://www.deborahmeier.com

      Also visit Meier and Ravitch on  Ed Week Blog at http:/blogs.edweek.org/edweek/Bridging-Differences/

      --
      Deborah Meier
      deborah.meier@...
      Visit my website: http://www.deborahmeier.com

      Also visit Meier and Ravitch on  Ed Week Blog at http:/blogs.edweek.org/edweek/Bridging-Differences/
    • Neal Hurwitz
      Message 3 of 8 , Dec 9, 2009
        /AQE and CEJ support "Adding More Time to the School Day and Year"/

        NO...This is a very bad, quite tortured, unnecessary, etc. idea!

        Parents are watching their kids under the burden now of too much homework!

        Children learn a lot out of school...and IMO and with my own kids, we
        NEED that!

        Parents need to spend more time with the children and not have them
        taken away too much more by schooling.

        IMO, this is not a /progressive/ proposal: it is quite /reactionary/,
        literally!

        Maybe in a school-by-school selection, this can be implemented...so what
        do they have to offer? We are now at
        PS 333-MSC, Mott Hall II, and Talent Unlimited HS---quite enough!!!
        (Lack of extracurricular athletics/sports is a major problem though...)

        There is more of course against this proposal...

        Thanks, Neal
        ###

      • Sabrina Olson
        Message 4 of 8 , Dec 10, 2009

          You are so very right !

          This message is being sent from a law firm and may contain
          confidential or privileged information.  If you are not
          the intended recipient, please advise the sender
          immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message and
          any attachments without retaining a copy.