Re: [nyceducationnews] any comment on this, David? City officials will investigate whistleblowing Lehman HS teachers

  • patrickj.sullivan@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 31, 2009
      The press office smears a 9 year old girl, only the latest in a long string of acts calculated to intimidate critics of the administration, and in response to expressions of concerns we get a pompous lecture.

      I am going to force the mayoral appointees to the Panel for Educational Policy to defend the press office. Enough is enough.

      Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

      From: david cantor <cantorrac@...>
      Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 23:13:37 -0400
      To: <nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [nyceducationnews] any comment on this, David? City officials will investigate whistleblowing Lehman HS teachers

      I'll reply to this after the weekend, Leonie.

      Irrespective of the merits of this instance, using it to argue that the administration isn't committed to arts education is not a serious response. Your reflex goes to the Manicheanism too often in view here; a quality I consider, with respect, to be the main intellectual flaw of the list. It makes it very hard to agree with your conclusions even when I share your concerns.

      David

      On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 2:32 PM, Leonie Haimson <leonie@...> wrote:

      Why is this acceptable behavior David?  To reveal confidential test score information on a little girl, while investigating teachers who exposed major corruption?

      Not to mention the absurdity of barring a girl from taking dance classes because she tested at a “low level 3” – which by the way, means she is on grade level.

      Over and over again, the administration has claimed that the emphasis on testing has not led to a decrease in arts education, yet we know this has happened.

      This case is a perfect example of the insanity that has taken over our schools.

      In the response put out by the Bloomberg campaign to the candidate survey put out by the Center for Arts Education, asking about his elimination of the dedicated funding called Project Arts, they wrote:  “rather than tying the hands of school leaders by dictating their budgets for them, we need to give principals control over their resources and hold them accountable for learning outcomes.”

      http://www.scribd. com/doc/21817208 /Bloomberg- CAE-Mayoral- Candidate- Questionnaire- FINAL

      In other words, as long as those test scores go up, arts education be damned.

      classsizematters@gmail.com
      www.classsizematter s.org
      http://nycpublicsch oolparents. blogspot. com/

      http://www.huffingt onpost.com/ leonie-haimson

      Subscribe to Class Size Matters news by emailing classsizematters- subscribe@ yahoogroups. com

      Subscribe to the NYC education news by emailing nyceducationnews- subscribe@ yahoogroups. com

      From: "Leonie Haimson" <leonie@...>

      Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 12:31:06 -0400

      Perhaps they see it as protecting their own right to privacy.  The right of DOE officials and Joel Klein in particular to privately collude with fraud and educational abuse.

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 1, 2009
        "Your reflex goes to the Manicheanism too often in view here; a quality I consider, with respect, to be the main intellectual flaw of the list." -- David Cantor, DOE.

        Now those of us who express deep and ongoing concerns over current DOE policies under the Klein chancellorship are "Manicheans" according to a spokesperson for the DOE. As in Manicheaism, an ancient religion whose governing principles were based on "an elaborate cosmology
        describing the struggle between a good, spiritual world of light, and an evil, material world of darkness"? (I settled for Wikipedia, which while admittedly not the world's most authoritative source, seemed adequate for this purpose).

        So who exactly represents the spiritual world of light here, and who the material world of darkness? I know what's implied by Mr. Cantor's comments, but I think there are many, many parent activists and others concerned about public education in NYC who would see the two categories exactly reversed from the previous writer's implications. However, I don't view this as the major issue, since the original point is silly and rather pompous semantics anyway. This is not a battle of spirituality versus materialism, not even a battle of good and evil, but simply significant disagreement over public policy on education.

        The real issue here is one we witnessed repeatedly during the Bush II Presidency -- taking your own flaws and weaknesses and ascribing them to those who oppose you. In this instance, those who comment to this listserv are apparently incapable of seeing anything but good and evil and hence saddled with an "intellectual flaw" that more or less automatically negates the value of their viewpoints, comments, concerns, suggestions, or analysis. In point of fact, it's the Mayor and Chancellor whose behavior for the last eight years has been repeatedly to tell public school parents and anyone else else who objected or sought compromise that "it's our way or the highway." There has never legitimately been two sides of debate on any education issue in the last eight years, beginning with the Mayor's infamous "massacre" of his own appointees in the early days of mayoral control in the "debate" over ending social promotion and his continued insistence that PEP exists only to rubber stamp his decisions. The ground rules on public school administration were set quite clearly back then at the time of the "massacre," and the Mayor for one has never hesitated to tell the public, in so many words, to shut up and get the hell our of his way. Under this Mayor, it has always been a world of false dichotomies, "You're either with us or you believe in chaos (a word used threateningly by the Mayor not long ago) and anarchy." If that's Mr. Cantor's definition of Manichaeism, then I would say we've lived with it for the last eight years.

        Regrettably, Mr. Cantor mistakes for one-sided blindness (I presume this is what he means in his reference to Manichaeism, seeing everything in terms of good versus evil) for honest, experience-based opposition to policies combined with frustration, disgust, anger at being belittled when not being outright ignored, and (most important) a quite real fear for the future of our city's public schools and the children who attend them. I believe I can speak for many contributors to this listserv when I say that I do not see Mr. Bloomberg or Mr. Klein as being evil people. Rather, I see them being aloof, high-handed, dismissive of the public they are paid to serve (even if just $1), uninterested in listening to others and unwilling to compromise or modify, and altogether too sure of the righteousness of their actions. Wasn't that last one, by the way, the "intellectual flaw" of our previous President?

        Steve Koss

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 1, 2009
          Manicheanism
          Manichaeism was one of the major Iranian Gnostic religions, originating in Sassanid Persia. Although most of the original writings of the founding prophet Mani have been lost, numerous translations and fragmentary texts have survived. Manichaeism is distinguished by its elaborate cosmology describing the struggle between a good, spiritual world of light, and an evil, material world of darkness. Through an ongoing process which takes place in human history, light is gradually removed from the world of matter and returned to the world of light from which it came.

          --- In nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com, patrickj.sullivan@... wrote:

          > The press office smears a 9 year old girl, only the latest in a long string of acts calculated to intimidate critics of the administration, and in response to expressions of concerns we get a pompous lecture.
          >
          > I am going to force the mayoral appointees to the Panel for Educational Policy to defend the press office. Enough is enough.
          >
          > Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

        • Tricia Joyce
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 1, 2009

            David I disagree. When I read Leonie’s remark, I immediately understood it to take into account not only the merits of this instance, but the remarkably consistent track record of this administration on the arts. One has to look no further than to the rampant and unapologetic dissolution of our cluster rooms over the past 8 years  to understand that arts education is not a priority, let alone the many specific examples like teaching to the test and this instance. I think it’s time we stop mincing words and look at the big picture. And it’s not a pretty one.

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 1, 2009

              David: I think this is projection on your part.   What did you write about the Mayor?  Visionary and indispensable?  Of course, he is indispensable to all those on the Bloomberg gravy train.

              If Manicheanism is about darkness and light, I agree.

              We try to cast light on all the ways in which the DOE tries to obscure the truth, whether that be inflated test scores, skewed graduation rates, the millions wasted on overpaid consultants and no-bid contracts, the lack of arts education, the disdain for parents and the lack of respect for complying with the law.

              If the DOE was committed to arts education, Klein would provide dedicated funding for it.  But they aren’t.  Instead they rely on the idiotic principal empowerment line. that no one believes.

              Of course, the DOE does allocate millions of dedicated funding for the programs they really are committed to.  Like the data inquiry teams in every school, the senior achievement facilitators, and all the other useless programs related to pumping up test scores.

              New York , NY 10011
              212-674-7320

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 1, 2009

                Good points Steve!

                Let us all remember it was the mayor who said that if the legislature didn’t renew mayoral control, there would be riots in the street, and/or we would return to the days of the Soviet Union .

                And then he compared the Senators who resisted rubberstamping the Silver-Padavan bill to Nazis.

                I don’t recall anyone making such extreme comparisons on this list; though some might say that we have more justification for doing so.

                New York , NY 10011
                212-674-7320

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 1, 2009
                  Is the very fine Sharon Dunn still at DOE?

                  Tricia Joyce wrote:

                  > David I disagree. When I read Leonie’s remark, I immediately
                  > understood it to take into account not only the merits of this
                  > instance, but the remarkably consistent track record of this
                  > administration on the arts. One has to look no further than to the
                  > rampant and unapologetic dissolution of our cluster rooms over the
                  > past 8 years to understand that arts education is not a priority, let
                  > alone the many specific examples like teaching to the test and this
                  > instance. I think it’s time we stop mincing words and look at the big
                  > picture. And it’s not a pretty one.

                • dave best
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 2, 2009
                    I feel if all the teachers in our schools said something about what's really going on in our schools (only then will we be able to start fixing the problems at hand)