RE: [nyceducationnews] Middle School CTT Placements

  • Rebecca Daniels
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2009

      Patricia, will send to CECD2 and PC. Best regards,

      Rebecca Daniels

      CECD2

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 3, 2009
        Thanks, Andrea.  However, I think your experience in District 31 differs somewhat from those of us in so-called choice districts (such as District 15 where my LD son receiving CTT & related services attends).  Here we have no zoned middle schools -- all are district-wide.  Thus CTT 5th graders are permitted to apply to only those middle schools that offer CTT.  Otherwise, their IEPs need to be amended prior to the middle school application process begins to indicate a recommendation of general education with academic management needs and accommodations specified as well as related services, if required.

        On Jun 3, 2009, at 12:51 PM, Andrea Anna Lella wrote:

        Good morning,

        We is D 31 have been dealing with this problem for a while and have found a way to effectively remedy it.

        In order to understand our remedy, please be aware that CTT is a service that is pushed into the general education classroom. CTT is NOT a specialized program. That being said, I advise EVERY parent who contacts me to NOT accept ANY placement offers for their child besides the home zoned school, and I ask them to cite the following State Education law, which is the law that I use to win Impartial Hearings on this issue, when rejecting the placement offer.

        Section 200.4(d)(4)(ii) be developed in conformity with the least restrictive environment provisions of this Part:

        (a) Placement shall be based on the student’s individualized education program and determined at least annually;

        (b) placement shall be as close as possible to the student’s home, and unless the student’s individualized education program requires some other arrangement, the student shall be educated in the school he or she would have attended if not disabled;

        As you can see, the statements in (b) of this section apply to the CTT service, as CTT is not a recommendation of a program; CTT is a recommendation of a supplementary aid and service to be provided in the general education classroom. This clearly negates the argument that students require 'placemnt". It is the SERVICE that is placed, as a supplentary aide and service,  in the child's home zoned school and into the general education class.

        Sincerely,

        Andrea Lella