Middle School CTT Placements

  • Patricia Connelly
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2009
      PLEASE FORWARD THIS MESSAGE WIDELY TO OTHER NYC PUBLIC SCHOOL PARENT LISTSERVS

      Good Morning!

      Middle school placement letters were sent out early this week.  Last year at this time, the DOE's Office of Student Enrollment and Placement (OSEPO) royally botched up the placement of 5th grade CTT students in middle schools in so-called choice districts (e.g., Districts 2, 15, etc.) I would be interested in hearing from any parents of CTT students from any district who may be concerned or displeased about the school placement that their child has received.  I will treat any information you share with me in the strictest confidence.

      All best,

      Patricia

      Patricia Connelly
      Parent, Districts 15 & 17
      Member, Citywide Council on Special Education
      Member, Parent Commission on School Governance and Mayoral Control

      CONTACT INFO:
      443 45th Street, Apt. 1
      Brooklyn, New York 11220
      718.812.6728 cell
      718.369.9074 home
      1.347.823.2099 eFax

      Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone; you are the one who gets burned.  -- Buddha

      Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens. -- Jimi Hendrix

    • Rebecca Daniels
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 3, 2009

        Patricia, will send to CECD2 and PC. Best regards,

        Rebecca Daniels

        CECD2

[...]

        This e mail is for the named addressees only and may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please inform me and delete it from your files. If you do not wish to receive commercial emails from me in the future and like to "Opt-Out" please click email address at end of this email and hit send or reply back to your sender with subject "remove me from your list." All information is from sources deemed reliable but is subject to errors, omissions, change of price, prior sale or withdrawal without notice. No representation is made as to accuracy of any description. All measurements and square footage are approximate and all information should be confirmed by customer. All rights to content, photographs and graphics reserved to Broker.
      • Patricia Connelly
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 3, 2009
          Thanks, Andrea.  However, I think your experience in District 31 differs somewhat from those of us in so-called choice districts (such as District 15 where my LD son receiving CTT & related services attends).  Here we have no zoned middle schools -- all are district-wide.  Thus CTT 5th graders are permitted to apply to only those middle schools that offer CTT.  Otherwise, their IEPs need to be amended prior to the middle school application process begins to indicate a recommendation of general education with academic management needs and accommodations specified as well as related services, if required.

          On Jun 3, 2009, at 12:51 PM, Andrea Anna Lella wrote:

          Good morning,

          We is D 31 have been dealing with this problem for a while and have found a way to effectively remedy it.

          In order to understand our remedy, please be aware that CTT is a service that is pushed into the general education classroom. CTT is NOT a specialized program. That being said, I advise EVERY parent who contacts me to NOT accept ANY placement offers for their child besides the home zoned school, and I ask them to cite the following State Education law, which is the law that I use to win Impartial Hearings on this issue, when rejecting the placement offer.

          Section 200.4(d)(4)(ii) be developed in conformity with the least restrictive environment provisions of this Part:

          (a) Placement shall be based on the student’s individualized education program and determined at least annually;

          (b) placement shall be as close as possible to the student’s home, and unless the student’s individualized education program requires some other arrangement, the student shall be educated in the school he or she would have attended if not disabled;

          As you can see, the statements in (b) of this section apply to the CTT service, as CTT is not a recommendation of a program; CTT is a recommendation of a supplementary aid and service to be provided in the general education classroom. This clearly negates the argument that students require 'placemnt". It is the SERVICE that is placed, as a supplentary aide and service,  in the child's home zoned school and into the general education class.

          Sincerely,

          Andrea Lella