Public Schools in District 14 under assault

  • norscot@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31, 2009

      Yesterday my daughter received a letter and an application soliciting her to apply to Williamsburg Charter HS.  She is a sophomore at another high school.  I have no idea how they got her address!  She never applied there as a freshman. Then today letters were sent home to parents about the D14 CEC meeting.  A charter school person is the slated guest. A new charter school is going into PS 297.    These charters are deparate to recruit.  There are small charter schools all over the district.

      Norm

      Commentary on education and politics

      http://ednotesonline.blogspot.com/

      Robotics in New York City
      http://normsrobotics.blogspot.com/

      **************
      A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in just 2 easy steps! (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1220439616x1201372437/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26hmpgID%3D62%26bcd%3DfebemailfooterNO62)
    • Lisa Donlan
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2009
        The charters have the opportunity through the Office of Charter Schools to send out direct mailers, addresses/names parsed from ATS by DoE to target potential students enrolled in public schools.

        The OCS justifies this use of our children's information by:

         1. claiming that since the mailing lists (enrolled students' names/addresses) never goes to the charter but is handled by a DoE vendor (Vanguard Direct) there is no invasion of privacy

        2. claiming they must undertake this outreach in order to reach a full range of students,  including the underserved (students with IEP's and English Language Learners).
        How the charters will serve these students if they are able to recruit them away from our community schools is a worthwhile question to pursue.

        I know that the charter schools in my district do not provide CTT or self-contained classes but only push in/pull out SETTS. Meanwhile the Portfolio team at Tweed and the Office of Enrollment staff in the borough centers (ISC's) are merrily cramming CTT and self-contained classes into district schools throughout my community with no thought or planning as to space constraints, continuity of services and programming for students, fit with the school philosophy or needs of the specific or larger community.
        Principals spend their time fending off these "register projection" power moves with appeals and political strategies, justifying their configurations and service offerings, trying to find space for the extra classes and necessary support teams.
        The details and stories I have heard from school communities on this topic would curl your hair.

        One more area where "mayoral control" has created a vacuum ending in more harm than good.

        Lisa Donlan CEC One

        To: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com; educatorsagainstchartersnyc@...; asc-ice-uft@...; ice-mail@yahoogroups.com
        From: norscot@...
        Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 23:27:38 -0400
        Subject: [nyceducationnews] Public Schools in District 14 under assault

        A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in just 2 easy steps! (http://pr.atwola. com/promoclk/ 100126575x122043 9616x1201372437/ aol?redir= http:%2F% 2Fwww.freecredit report.com% 2Fpm%2Fdefault. aspx%3Fsc% 3D668072% 26hmpgID% 3D62%26bcd% 3Dfebemailfooter NO62)

        Rediscover Hotmail®: Now available on your iPhone or BlackBerry Check it out.