Join Betsy at a Public Hearing Monday Morning to Speak Out On Term Limits

  • leonie@att.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2008

      From: Betsy Gotbaum [mailto:betsygotbaum@...]
      Sent: Fri 10/31/2008 4:10 PM
      To: CEC20 D20
      Subject: Monday Morning: Last Chance to Be Heard on Term Limits

      October 31, 2008

      Join Me at a Public Hearing Monday Morning to Speak Out On Term Limits

      As most of you know, the City Council voted 29-22 last week after a contentious debate to extend the eligible terms of New York City elected officials - including all councilmembers, the mayor and my own office - from two terms to three.

      This Monday, Mayor Bloomberg plans to sign the term limits extension bill into law at 9:30 am.

      Before the mayor signs this bill, he will hold a hearing where New Yorkers can voice their opinion on the bill. This will be the first and only time that the public can talk directly to the mayor about this controversial change.

      Although two public hearings were held by the council on term limits, they were both in the middle of a workday in Manhattan. And we've come to find out that the mayor wasn't that interested in hearing what the public had to say anyway. According to the New York Times City Room blog, in reference to those who testified, Mayor Bloomberg said, “I didn’t follow or listen to any of them."

      Let’s make sure the mayor does listen to passionate New Yorkers who are standing up for a referendum and against the bill passed by the Council.

      Please join me this coming Monday, November 3rd by coming into City Hall to speak to the mayor before the bill signing ceremony. Come early if you can to sign up to tesify.

      Betsy Gotbaum

      Website:
      www.pubadvocate.nyc.gov
      Blog: www.publicadvocatescorner.com

      The Public Advocate's Office | 1 Centre Street, 15th Floor | New York, NY 10007
      General Inquiries: (212) 669-7200
      Ombudsman Services: (212) 669-7250 | Fax: (212) 669.4701