58028NYSED Releases 50% of Questions from 2014 Grades 3-8 Assessments; Questions illustrate the breadth and depth of standards measured by NYS tests

    Aug 6, 2014

      From: Ken Wagner <KWAGNER@...>
      Date: August 6, 2014 at 1:00:28 PM EDT
      To: PUBADMIN@...
      Subject: Fwd: News Release: State Releases 50% of Questions from 2014 Grades 3-8 Assessments; Questions illustrate the breadth and depth of standards measured by NYS tests

      fyi

      >>> NYSEDCommunications 8/6/2014 12:52 PM >>>

      New York State Board of Regents
      Dr. John B. King, Jr.
      Commissioner of Education
      The State Education Department
      The University of the State of New York/Albany, NY 12234
      Office of Communications

      NEWS

      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE August 6, 2014

      For More Information, Contact:

      Tom Dunn, Jonathan Burman or Jeanne Beattie
      (518) 474-1201

      www.nysed.gov

      State Releases 50% of Questions from 2014 Grades 3 - 8 Assessments

      Questions illustrate the breadth and depth of

      standards measured by NYS tests

      The New York State Education Department today released approximately 50 percent of the questions used on the 2014 Grades 3 - 8 assessments (a 100 percent increase in the number released for the 2013 tests). The released questions will help students, families, educators, and the public understand the breadth and depth with which the state tests measure college and career readiness.

      The released questions represent a range of difficulty and illustrate how student performance is assessed in accordance with the learning expectations and instructional shifts established by the New York State Common Core Learning Standards.  Released questions can help inform classroom instruction and local assessment practices.

      The released items are posted here: https://www.engageny.org/resource/new-york-state-common-core-sample-questions

      For each released multiple-choice question, explanations are provided, detailing how the question measures the intended learning standard and why the right answer is correct and why wrong answers are incorrect. For constructed response questions, several examples of student work are provided, with explanations of why the responses received the scores they did.

      "New York State students and their teachers are rising to the challenge," said Regents Chancellor Merryl H. Tisch.  "Educators can use this information together with student work from throughout the school year to help understand whether their instruction, assignments and classroom assessments reflect the rigor and depth of our learning standards and our statewide assessments."

      "The test questions we are releasing today, coupled with item level data analysis and instructional reports made available in July, are important components of a comprehensive approach to instructional planning and professional development," said   Education Commissioner John B. King, Jr.  "We've listened to New York State educators make the case that having more test questions available would benefit our kids so we've doubled the number and provided a thorough explanation for every student response."

      The 3-8 assessments are only one indicator among multiple measures of student performance and are intended to be used in conjunction with other tools to gauge student performance, educator effectiveness and school accountability. All Regional Information Centers (RICs) offer reports that allow educators to see the percentage of students that answered each test question correctly and (for released test questions) the percentage of students who selected each incorrect response.

      This year, NYSED requested additional funding in the New York State Budget to increase the number of test forms – because more test forms would enable the Department to release more test questions and eliminate stand-alone multiple choice field tests. The request was not funded in this year’s budget.

      The federal No Child Left Behind Act (NCLB) requires that states annually administer tests in English Language Arts (ELA) and Mathematics in grades 3 – 8 and high school. The 2014 Grades 3–8 Common Core ELA and Mathematics New York State Testing Program (NYSTP) has been designed to measure student knowledge and skills as defined by grade-level New York state standards in ELA and Mathematics.

      A wide range of resources are available to parents and educators on State Assessments:

      Performance Level Descriptions for 3-8 ELA and Math Tests that describe the knowledge and skills students should display at each performance level:

      <Annotated Items release-FINAL 8-6-14_3_1.pdf>