56453Re: [nyceducationnews] Cuomo embraces his 'disruptive' charter stance

  • May Taliaferrow
    Mar 18 6:40 AM
      I guess, I will not shop at Gristedes.

      I was amazed at Catsimatidis quote,   “Ninety three percent of the kids in charter schools are minorities that finally got a chance to succeed, and we shouldn’t be kicking them in the butt, pardon my language,”  This  is what many of the mega charters do, emotionally and psychologically, with their “No Excuses , Zero Tolerance stances that are prevalent in their minority  locations!

      May Taliaferrow
      Lic.Real Estate Sales person

      Keller Williams Realty Landmark II
      Jackson Heights | NY 11370
      Office 347.846.1200
      Direct 917.572.8812

      "A spirited mind never stops within itself; it is always aspiring and going beyond its strength"
      -Montaigne

      Download the KW app and put in my agent code KW2MVTJLA

      On Mar 17, 2014, at 1:01 PM, Norm Scott <normsco@...> wrote:

      Hmmm. Similar stance on charters to Lhota. May the same fate befall him.
      Let's watch his numbers given that anti-charter stance played some role in de Blasio numbers  - which apparently he is allowing to wither away by waffling.
      How about all those commercials? Do we think they are winning people to support charters or raising issues that if they have so much money why can't they find space for less than 200 kids?
      Norm

      On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 12:11 PM, Leonie Haimson <leonie@...> wrote:

      Cuomo embraces his ‘disruptive’ charter stance

      http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/albany/2014/03/8542055/cuomo-embraces-his-disruptive-charter-stance

      <image001.png>Andrew Cuomo speaks at a pro-charter rally in Albany. (AP Photo/Tim Roske) Tweet Share on Facebook Share on Tumblr Print

      <image002.jpg>By Laura Nahmias 10:31 a.m. | Mar. 16, 2014 follow this reporter

      Governor Andrew Cuomo cast himself as a "disruptive" force in support of charter schools, in a congratulatory appearance on the first episode of John Catsimatidis' new radio show.

      "That word is important, John: disruptive," said Cuomo, in a 10-minute appearance on Sunday morning, that included lots of praise from Catsimatidis, a former Republican mayoral candidate.

      "We have a big bureaucracy with a system that is entrenched, and it funds public education," Cuomo said. "They have their lobbyists and they have their little public relations teams, and they have their front groups and their advocates, and this is disruptive to that entire system, which is a multi-billion dollar system, so you get a lot of pressure against charter schools."

      Cuomo has made himself the public face of the pro-charter movement in New York in recent weeks, appearing at a pro-charter rally in Albany that was organized in reaction to Mayor Bill de Blasio's decision to reverse three charter co-locations in New York City.

      On Friday, he soaked up praise from pro-charter supporters at a speech to the Association for a Better New York, and on Sunday, Catismatidis, the billionaire owner of the Gristedes’ grocery store chain, cheered Cuomo’s education policy, saying the governor had “raised the confidence of all New Yorkers” with his plans to fund universal pre-kindergarten without raising taxes, as de Blasio had proposed.

      Catsimatidis, a proud son of Greek immigrants, said charter schools would help minority students.

      “Ninety three percent of the kids in charter schools are minorities that finally got a chance to succeed, and we shouldn’t be kicking them in the butt, pardon my language,” he said.

      Cuomo drew some praise later in the show from former governor George Pataki, who criticized de Blasio's charter decision, saying, "it’s just terrible now to see the mayor looking to roll back the progress we’ve made over a decade."

      Cuomo also talked about his overall reduction in state government, citing public education as one example of where the state had tried to solve problems with more public spending.

      And he repeated an anecdote from his ABNY lunch about a recent conversation with a Haitian doorman on Park Avenue.

      The doorman, whose name Cuomo did not give, had taken a day off of work to travel to Albany with his son for a pro-charter school rally earlier this month, Cuomo said.

      According to the governor, the doorman told him, “in my neighborhood the public schools are failing, and if I don’t get my son into a charter school I have no options.”

      “For your generation, my generation, you could go to a public school and end up anything you want,” Cuomo said, to his appreciative host.

      “I’m proud of you for doing this,” Cuomo told Catsimatidis. “Keep agitating the conversation because we need an intelligent productive conversation, more than ever."

      http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/albany/2014/03/8542055/cuomo-embraces-his-disruptive-charter-stance

      --
      Have a good day

      Norm Scott
      normsco@...
      917-992-3734

      On Twitter:  @normscott1

      Education Notes Online
      ednotesonline.blogspot.com/

      GEM, Grassroots Education Movement
      gemnyc.org

      The Inconvenient Truth Behind Waiting for Superman - Now Online
      http://gemnyc.org/our-film/

      Education Editor, The Wave
      http://www.rockawave.com/

      Norms's Robotics blog