55947Godawful NYT editorial on Common Core

    Feb 15, 2014
      http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/15/opinion/the-common-core-in-new-york.html?hp&rref=opinion

      If john king can't convince parents teachers or superintendnts he knows what he's doing at least he can convince the NYT editors.

      On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 9:51 PM EST Norm Scott wrote:

      >You don't have to get anything "done". How about the rare opportunity for kids and teachers to just chat? To me that is getting something done.
      >I used to distinguish between "teaching" - often working from some script - and "working with kids" where engage spontaneoulsy with kids. That was why I took my kids out of the school on trips as often as I could get away with.
      >Yesterday was an opportunity for teachers and students to get to know each other better.
      >If I were still teaching and could have managed to get to school I would have loved to be there.
      >The doe needs a plan for snow days. They could offer teachers who show some bonus while not docking. Or tell teachers to go to the nearest school if they can't make it in. Or delay opening time. There are options but what we see time and again are thoughtless narrow decision making.
      >To me there is nothing wrong with schools being babysitting services on days like this and I do not think the concept degrades teachers. What degrades teachers is expecting those who can't get to work to help the city pay for the snowday with a sick day.
      >
      >Cheers,
      >Norm Scott
      >
      >Twitter: normscott1
      >
      >Education Notes
      >ednotesonline.blogspot.com
      >
      >Grassroots Education Movement
      >gemnyc.org
      >
      >Education columnist, The Wave
      >www.rockawave.com
      >
      >nycfirst robotics
      >normsrobotics.blogspot.com
      >
      >Sent from my BlackBerry

      babysitting days. She taught in a high needs area, so she understands how helpful it is for schools to remain open, but she lives in Westchester and was unable to get out of her road. She wrote:
      “Why not pay local teachers to come in to some schools in each area (this would not cost more because the City pays substitutes to cover all the absences caused by teachers taking personal days) and
      advertise it as a babysitting day for those who need it: show movies, play games and serve a hot lunch?”

      >This debate is going on all over the city on all the social networking sites, with parents and teachers taking all kinds of sides, so the stark choice between snow day or not is never going to satisfy
      everyone. So why not something in between?

      >Re: Fwd: Whiteboard: School attendance rate: 44.6 percent
      >

      >Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:37 pm (PST) . Posted by:
      >
      >"Dunn yahoo" bdunn90
      >

      >D14 has one of the highest poverty rates in NYC. A lot of families do rely on schools as daycare. If a school closes suddenly and they can't arrange for someone to watch
      their children, they risk their jobs. Maybe City Council should consider some legislation. It's as important an issue as sick leave for families.

      > On Feb 13, 2014, at 8:19 PM, Laura@... wrote:
      >
      > > Staten Island had only 25% attendance. The roads were very bad out here and schools should have been closed. It was unsafe.
      > >
      > > Laura E. Timoney
      > > (O) 718.987.6411
      > > (C) 917.667.2711
      > > Laura@...
      > >

      > > Norm Scott <normsco@...>
      > > Sent by: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com
      > > 02/13/2014 07:59 PM
      > > Please respond to
      > > nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com

      > > NYC Ed News <nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com>, MORE-News Google Group <MORE-News@...>, Ice Mail Yahoo <ice-mail@yahoogroups.com>
      > > cc
      > > Subject
      > > [nyceducationnews] Fwd: Whiteboard: School attendance rate: 44.6 percent

      city officials normally aligned with the mayor.

      > > See a full list of schools' attendance rates here: http://on.nyc.gov/1dPJ3S2
      > >
      > > You've received this Capital Pro content because your customized settings include: City Hall (all whiteboards) or one of the following City Hall topics: education.
      > >
      > > To change your alert settings, please go to your Pro settings page.
      > >
      > > <MailAttachment.png>
      > >
      > > If you believe this has been sent to you in error, please safely unsubscribe.
      > >

      > > --
      > > Have a good day
      > >
      > > Norm Scott
      > > normsco@...
      > > 917-992-3734
      > >
      > > On Twitter: @normscott1
      > >
      > > Education Notes Online
      > > ednotesonline.blogspot.com/
      > >
      > > GEM, Grassroots Education Movement
      > > gemnyc.org
      > >
      > > The Inconvenient Truth Behind Waiting for Superman - Now Online
      > > http://gemnyc.org/our-film/
      > >
      > > Education Editor, The Wave
      > > http://www.rockawave.com/
      > >
      > > Norms's Robotics blog
      > > http://normsrobotics.blogspot.com/
      > >

      > > <MailAttachment.png><Mail Attachment.gif>

      > Reply to sender
      > Reply to group
      > Start a New Topic
      > Messages in this topic (13)