      From: mergenthaler gretchen <gmergenthaler@...>
      To: nyceducationnews <nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Fri, Feb 14, 2014 8:30 pm
      Subject: Re: [nyceducationnews] Re: Fwd: Whiteboard: School attendance rate: 44.6 percent

      There was no way we were going to let my son stay home...his school is two (short) blocks away.
      He said he had a great day, that he got a lot done since there were only 11 kids there. He said he could focus (a rarity!), he got to work directly with the teacher (they got along for a change!) and that he wishes every day were like that. This is my son who hates school. ....Ah...if only every day could be like that...

      On Friday, February 14, 2014 8:14 PM, Nancy K Cauthen <kidsbigandsmall@...> wrote:
      Agreed! My son attends a neighborhood K-8 (and we happen to live right across the street). Yesterday's attendance rate was 68%.

      Nancy Cauthen, D6 parent

      On 2/14/2014 6:45 PM, Diane Ravitch wrote:
      The price of "choice" is the destruction of neighborhood schools

      Diane Ravitch

      On Feb 14, 2014, at 1:49 PM, Rachel Paster <rpaster@...> wrote:

      I'd also love to see these figures broken out by zoned schools versus schools of choice.  My zoned school had over 55% attendance, much higher than the city average.  Why? Because we can walk there.  I get not wanting to put kids on the bus if the roads are unsafe, but much of the bussing is a function of having a system where parents go to schools that are nowhere near their homes.  Zoned community schools are part of the solution.

      On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 10:25 AM, Neal H. Hurwitz <nealhugh@...> wrote:
      1. I did not allow my kids to go to school. Too dangerous. (Most concerned about lousy drivers in NY NY these days...)
      2. Schools open for parents who needed that, OK.
      3. Stuyvesant had 80% attendance while City was 47%... telling. But Stuy students reported that nothing much was done;
      how may teachers were absent?
      4. Mayor should have made it clearer that parents had choice.
      5. Mayor made mention that schools must be open under State madate unless conditions were too extreme--- he and
      Farina decided conditions were not too extreme and that is debatable...

      Absent students/teachers should not be penalized for 1/13.

      Thanks, Neal

      Neal H. Hurwitz
      NY, NY