      From: Norm Scott [mailto:normsco@...]
      Sent: Sunday, October 27, 2013 1:09 AM
      To: NYC Ed News
      Cc: Atwell, Jan
      Subject: Re: [nyceducationnews] re IBM and P-tech

      I believe Litow worked for Levy? Chanc when bloomb took over.
      Listen some of these people are nice etc. But they play their assigned roles and it adds up to backing the ed deform agenda even if they do it with a smile.
      There really is a line in the sand and at this point - until these skunks are forced to take their hands off our throats there is no straddling that line because they will never let go until we have organized hordes marching in the streets. (Or maybe just a batch of kindergarten parents in a k-2 school in wash hts to the deformers is a horde.)
      Norm

      Cheers,
      Norm Scott

      Twitter: normscott1

      Education Notes
      ednotesonline.blogspot.com

      Grassroots Education Movement
      gemnyc.org

      Education columnist, The Wave
      www.rockawave.com

      nycfirst robotics
      normsrobotics.blogspot.com

      Sent from my BlackBerry

      From: "Leonie Haimson" <leonie@...>

      Sender: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com

      Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2013 13:49:23 -0400

      To: <nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com>

      ReplyTo: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com

      Cc: Atwell, Jan<JAtwell@...>

      Subject: [nyceducationnews] re IBM and P-tech

      Okay everyone; let’s cool down.  IBM as a corporation may not be a good citizen of the US; and I think they got kicked off the ARIS contract when it went to Wireless (no improvement there.)

      Also, the kids at Robeson have been treated shamefully and there is no reason that they could not have started P-tech as a program in the school, if Bloomberg didn’t prefer closing schools to improving them.  I also believe that P-tech has been massively over-hyped for a school that has been only open two years.

      On the other hand, Stan Litow, who is the president of the IBM Foundation and who started P-Tech, has had a long career as working for better schools in NYC even before he joined IBM.  At one point he was deputy chancellor (under Fernandez?); at another time he headed up the Educational Priorities Panel, where both Jan Atwell and I used to work; a budget watchdog organization that fought for more equitable funding and more resources & smaller classes in the NYC public schools.

      Reasonable people can disagree; but IBM is not a monolithic corporation and they can be tax dodgers and cut jobs (as almost all large corporations have) AND help to subsidize a school that is designed to help kids succeed and get good jobs.  I just don’t think that Robeson had to be shut down to do this.

      Subscribe to Class Size Matters newsletter at  http://shar.es/wNbXk

      Subscribe to NYC education list by emailing nyceducationnews-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      From: James <jvlasto@...>

      Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 19:06:40 -0400

      Norm

      Your a good reporter. Why not contact IBM.

      From: James <jvlasto@...>

      Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 18:37:02 -0400

      Jason Wedes
      You are so wrong about about IBM. IBM's commitment to the nation's public schools is unchallenged.

        It might be better to end your personal attack on the President.