51777Re: [nyceducationnews] Children First Network ratings

  • Deborah Meier
    May 17, 2013
      Alas, anther potentially good idea gets carried ut in ways that do more diservice than service (although some may be quite helpful).  Like small schools, choice, "performaznce" assessment--these "ideas" have been re=defined to mean their opposite!
      -----
      Deborah Meier

      Note: latest book!! Playing For Keeps (TC Press) by D. Meier, Brenda Engel and Beth Taylor

      NOTE: new e-mail address.  deborahmeier@...

      For more information see website:  http://www.deborahmeier.com

      On May 15, 2013, at 12:40 PM, Lisa Donlan wrote:

      Of course schools need instructional and operational support- I agree with you there.
      But why make it both invisible and virtual?
      Why  network schools across 4-5 boroughs, across grades and types?
      Why not offer support that also provides community to more than principals?
      Why fill their ranks w/ the same old bureaucrats, who seem to churn in and out  as endlessly as Tweedies and their private industry partnerships ( like Joel Klein, Chris Cerf, Joel Rose, Sharon Rencher, most of the Region 9 Sups, to name a few)?

      There has been no accountability for school performance from networks, no accountability to staff, parents and students by networks.
      The line-em-up matrix based on crazy complicated algorithms is NOT evaluation, believe me.
      It is funny how the whole Bloomberg accountability regime can not figure out how to measure performance or success in instruction, training, mentoring, learning, collaboration, communication, etc. across the board.

      School progress report grades?
      Teacher VAM scores?
      Student test scores 1-4?
      G and T predictive scores?

      Does any of this mean anything to anyone in the real world who is not a statistician?

      Lisa

      To: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com
      From: mrportelos@...
      Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 11:36:52 -0400
      Subject: Re: [nyceducationnews] Children First Network ratings

      While in exile for a year I have seen first hand several networks here in my building. Coming in late...ordering and eating breakfast at 10AM, on Facebook and shopping for shoes. Let's not forget the enormous amounts of shredding that goes on in the basement. Fun stuff. It's like the licked up Jason Bourne in an office at CIA Headquarters at Langley. Meanwhile 20 miles away at my school, there are hardly any PDs, the budget is a mess, facilities a mess with asbestos disturbance with no containment. Again, no accountability. I bet if you ask all the educators or parents who their Network leader or cluster leader or what network they belong to, less than 1% would know.

      As a future administrator though, I would like a group that handles certain things for me so I can focus on pedagogy and the facilitating the teachers.

      -Francesco Portelos
      mrportelos@...
      educatorfightsback.org
      Parent
      Educator
      UFT Chapter Leader IS 49
      “In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.” -Martin Luther King Jr.
      *sent from my Galaxy S3. Please pardon any typos

      On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 9:54 AM, Leonie Haimson <leonie@...> wrote:

      ALL the Democratic candidates for Mayor who appeared at the UFT spring conference, including Chris Quinn, said they would return to districts and eliminate the networks.  I think this is the easiest of the damaging policies that Bloomberg imposed to undo.

      From: mrportelos@...
      Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 09:05:40 -0400

      These networks can be great support for schools if used properly, however of the 55 current CFNs some are statically rated the worst. I hear ratings come out this time of year and schools can change affiliation. As usual it's difficult to find these ratings. Anyone know where we can find them?
      Mulgrew did a whole speech about the lack of accountability of these networks in October, but Sandy hit and sorry got lost.
      http://www.uft.org/news-stories/mulgrew-doe-caused-networks-dysfunction

      --
      -Francesco Portelos
      IS 49 UFT Chapter Leader

      "In the end, we will not remember the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." -Martin Luther King Jr.

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic