51322Privacy Town Hall meeting April 29; also update on this year's ELA exams

    Apr 17, 2013
    1.    Please come to our Privacy Town Hall meeting at Brooklyn Borough Hall on Monday, April 29 at 6 PM at Brooklyn Borough Hall.  A flyer you can post or distribute in your school is attached and also posted here: http://shar.es/J6QSI

    Here is more information and an invitation you can email to parents, your elected officials, or concerned colleagues.

    Parents, do you know your child’s confidential, personal school records are going to be shared with a corporation called inBloom Inc?

    This highly sensitive information will be stored on a data cloud and disclosed to for-profit corporations to help them develop and market their “learning products.”

    The data will include your child’s names, address, photo, email, test scores, grades, special education, economic and racial status, and most likely detailed disciplinary, and health records as well.

    Please come and hear more about this plan from advocates and state and city education officials.

    What: Town Hall meeting about student privacy

    When: Monday, April 29th at 6 p.m.

    Where: Brooklyn Borough Hall, 209 Joralemon Street

    (Take the #4 or 5 Trains to Boro Hall, #2, 3, or R to Court Street, or the A, C or F Trains to Jay Street/Boro Hall)

    Invited guests include representatives from the NYS Education Department, the NYC Department of Education, the Gates Foundation, inBloom Inc., and the Board of Regents.

    Co-sponsored by Assemblymembers Danny O’Donnell, James Brennan, William Colton; NYS Senators Liz Krueger and Martin Golden, NYC Public Advocate Bill de Blasio, NYC Council Education Chair Robert Jackson, Council Members Gale Brewer and Leticia James; Class Size Matters, the Learning Disabilities Association of NY, the Brooklyn Parent Academy, Community Education Councils of Districts 1, 3, 13, 14, 15, 20, 21, 22 and the Citywide Council for Special Education.

    If   2. If you have children or students in grades 3-8 they are now in the midst of three days of state ELA standardized testing.  Last year, the ELA exams were full of errors and confusing and ambiguous questions, including the infamous Pineapple passage, which we first reported on our blog. Yesterday, we heard from some teachers and principals that the reading passages were difficult and the questions extremely tricky.  Some said they could not figure out the answers themselves.

    In addition, several passages and questions were repeated at several different grade levels, and apparently one of the forms of the test had the same passage in grades 3, 4, and 5.  So many principals and teachers thought this was a mistake that the state posted a memo, saying this was “intentional”, calling it "vertical linking," and claiming that repeating the same items in adjacent grades is one of the "typical testing processes." Yet a principal told me that in her twenty years as a NY educator, she’s never seen this before on a state standardized exam.

    As a parent, student, or educator, if you have comments or observations about the exams this year, please email them to me directly at leonie@... or post them on our blog at http://shar.es/J6NJK .  Your name and/or school will be held in strict confidence if that's what you prefer.

    Thanks,