      From: "c_ofeb" <MO9Ernie@...>
      Sender: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2013 15:10:49 -0000
      To: <nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [nyceducationnews] Re: Mather HS

      Neal H,

      Arrive at the Round 2 High School Fair early and speak to the representatives of all the schools.

      Put together a good list but don't become enamored with just one school, as most Round2's only have 25-50 available seats. I bet a good number of the 7,000 students who did not get a match in Round 1 have similar grades to your son, so there will again be a scramble.

      Definitely put your favorite as first choice, even if the other 7,000 students also put it as number one. List as many schools on the application that you can.

      The list of schools with Round 2 openings is on the DOE website:
      http://schools.nyc.gov/NR/rdonlyres/8A74D116-5C07-4AA1-8B95-CDD94E75806E/0/2013Grade9Round2List_32213.pdf

      A short list that impressed the editors of insideschools.org is here:
      http://72.3.133.137/blog/item/1000606-our-picks-high-schools-that-still-have-room

      Every year approximately 7,000 students fall between the cracks. ** Every year **. The best schools — schools with a challenging curriculum that are full of serious eager students happy to be challenged — receive thousands of applicants for less than 300 seats each.

      The DOE underestimates how many bright students there are, every year. It's important for students with plans to go to college not be distracted by students who don't have that plan. That's why the same schools appear on every student's application. These are crucial years.

      We need more high school programs specifically for students with at least 85 averages and 3's in ELA/Math. They can be filled 30 times over, no problem.

      You'd think they'd get a clue.

      -c

      --- In nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com, nealhugh@... wrote:

      > Many thanks. Is Gabbard strong? I will see him. Best, Neal
      > Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

    • Show all 25 messages in this topic