      From: Lisa Donlan <lisabdonlan@...>
      Sender: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 11:48:27 -0400
      To: nyced newsgroup<nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [nyceducationnews] re: Mather HS

      Why are the 7,000 families not taking to the streets in outrage?
      This year and every year?

      When a student assignment plan systemically disenfranchises 10 % of 8th graders, there is a HUGE problem.

      Do we know who those unmatched students are- their demographics, their middle schools of origin, their test scores and  other characteristics that would explain their being left out of the system?

      Has any elected or reporter or think tank FOILed this data and run an analysis on who these students are,  after all these years?

      As for the next 7000 unmatched HS applicants-
      not to worry- Eva is opening HSs now.

      (manufactured) problem solved (outsourced)!

      Lisa

      To: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com
      From: MO9Ernie@...
      Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 14:03:46 +0000
      Subject: [nyceducationnews] re: Mather HS

      Neal H,

      Be sure to arrive at the Round 2 HS Fair early, so that you can speak to the representatives of all the schools in which you're interested.

      You can see a _full_ list of schools with available seats on the DOE website. It's in the High School tab and is a downloadable pdf file. Research before you go to the fair this weekend.

      Insideschools .org also has singled out some of their favorite schools; the title of the article is: "Our picks: High schools that still have room". I like that website.

      Most of these schools listed only have 25-50 available seats each. With 7,000 students, many of the families are going to apply to the best of the lot. Your son has the best chance at one of these seats because of his grades/test scores.

      But put your favorite school first, and be sure to list as many schools as possible. Don't become overly enamored with any schools, and don't over-strategize. Just rank by preference, filling all the slots.

      Every year 7,000 students are un-matched. EVERY-EVERY YEAR. It can't be a surprise to the DOE anymore. What wouldn't surprise me is if many of those 7,000 kids were 90s/high 3s like your son. There are not enough programs/seats in reputable schools for children of that academic level, so all the students apply to the same 12 schools in the first Round (and many parents are unaware of and therefore miss supplemental application requirements of certain schools, like SOF's essay as well).

      Good luck.
      -c

      --- In nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com, stanleymng@... wrote:

      > The new Principal of that HS is Larry Gabbard, former AP of PACE HS. Mather HS is a CTE school that will offer hands-on education in the building arts and landscaping trades, emphases on high quality craftsmanship, specialized building arts and the practice of historic preservation.
      >
      > Go speak with the new Principal this coming Saturday at MLK
      >
      > http://schools.nyc.gov/ChoicesEnrollment/High/Round2
      >
      > SNg
      >

      > --- In nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com, "Neal H. Hurwitz" <nealhugh@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Since my son (at MSC--PS333 where 20% did not get assigned)...with over 90% average
      > > and hi 3s on ELA in Math and Eng did not get assignment first
      > > round, I called the school below now three times for info... no response.
      > > Anyone know anything about Mather which is in the Bergtraum HS bldg on Pearl St.
      > > Thanks, Neal 646-884-0594
      > >

      > > Stephen T. Mather Building Arts & Craftsmanship HS
      > >

      > > Neal H. Hurwitz
      > > NY, NY

    • Show all 25 messages in this topic