43169warning to parents in D 14

    Feb 12, 2012

    Post it!  Pass it along!  Let everyone know!

    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    From: Williamsburg Greenpoint Schools <williamsburggreenpointschools@...>
    Date: Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 3:31 PM
    Subject: URGENT - WARNING for your school
    To: Sabine <CEC14@...>, PPayne6@..., TAtson@..., NPena4@..., LRuizFerreira@..., LSantia10@..., CRodriguez3@..., MRodriguez3@..., ZParis@..., LChu4@..., MCantor2@...

    Please pass this along to your school community.

    -------

    Dear PS84, PS110, PS147, PS157, PS196, IS 71, Lyons Community School, Green School, Brooklyn Prep, Williamsburg High School or Architecture & Design, and Williamsburg Prep,

    Over the past few months, some of you may have heard the news in District 14 about the closing of PS19 and Success Academy Charter School's impending co-location in MS50 in our district.   In our efforts to stop Success Academy Williamsburg's co-location we have found that:

    Your school has been identified as MOST URGENTLY AT RISK for co-location with a charter school as per the Underutilized Space Memorandum of January 12, 2012.

    Not only does Success Academy Williamsburg plan to open with 95 children in Kindergarten and 95 children in 1st grade, we have discovered that two additional charter schools are planned for 2013 opening with an additional 120-160 kids in Kindergarden and 120-160 children in 1st grade.  These are students that will be pulled from our local schools, jeopardizing our public schools' budgets, and these charter schools WILL BE PLACED in our existing DoE schools.  Maybe your school.

    We are working with the Southside Community Schools Coalition and the Community Education Council for District 14 to educate our families and community stakeholders about the consequences of the increased presence of charter schools in our district.  We want to save our local schools.

    We are asking for your help and we want to help you.

    Please warn your parent community about the risk to your school and ask for their help to save our schools.

    Help us send the message to the DoE - NO! to Success Academy Williamsburg!  Let your school's voice be heard!!

    On Thursday, February 16th, there is a COMMUNITY MARCH at 4pm from El Puente (S4th Street and Roebling) to the Success Academy Co-location PUBLIC HEARING at 6pm ( at JHS50 -180 S3rd between Driggs & Roebling)

    Even if you can't make it to the march, there is a lot your school community CAN do:

    - call 311 to register a complaint.  Let the city know: "I don't want Success Academy Williamsburg in my district!"

    - print and distribute the enclosed flyers for your school community.

    - we can help you host an informational meeting about the effects of charter schools on your school and the district.

    For more information:

    Together we can save our local schools!

    Williamsburg and Greenpoint Parents for Our Public Schools