31005RE: [nyceducationnews] OFIA

  • Harvey Beringer
    Jan 12, 2011

      OFIA is a complete was of money.  Ewel Napier ad Lori Butera were totally ineffective in resolving my problems with Gerry Waterman the past president of the PTA at Bayside High School who decided to increase the pay of  instructors for a SAT course without any approval of the board.  It was probably done so his son with poor grades could receive favorable treatment from his teachers.

      From: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com [mailto:nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Ellen
      Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2011 1:31 PM
      To: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [nyceducationnews] OFIA

      follwing are some emails between myself and Ewel. For your information, OFIA will be "training" CECs in February. Does everyone realize there will be elections again in May of 2011?

      NYS School Boards Assn has done past trainings for the CECs. However, at each training NYSBA has been surprised to learn that CECs do not have the same responsibilities as school boards:

      i.e.

      * CECs do not hire District Superintendents, whereas the boards do

      * CECs do not negotiate contracts, whereas the boards do

      * CECs do not determine budgets, whereas the boards do

      The folks from NYSBA are always at a loss when they are asked questions specific to NYC issues. In fact a few times there have been some very unpleasant rumblings from the participants about this.

      To Ewel Napier