      To: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com
      From: mchgh_lln@...
      Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 12:35:02 +0000
      Subject: [nyceducationnews] Re: OFIA

      If they are reaching out to CBOs and not to the PA/PTA, SLT and CEC, they can effectively divide a community creating a reserve of support outside of the school for things like teacher bashing and charter school placements. Not a bad strategy. A lousy way to run a school system, but a great way for the administration to weaken any residual community support for the local school.

      --- In nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com, Monica Major <Majorm766@...> wrote:

      > And I asked Nydia Portilla, the Bronx rep, "What has that got to do with
      > student achievement"? Why is the DOE trying to cure the ills of the world?.
      > Just do your part Educate." Again just another way to blame others for the
      > lack of abilities at the OF???????
      >
      > On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 6:52 AM, Shino Tanikawa <shinot@...> wrote:
      >

      > > Ojeda Hall was at the "public hearing" for A-190 in Manhattan. I got a
      > > distinct sense that the DOE is moving toward working more closely with
      > > community based organizations rather than PTAs, SLTs and CECs. Santy
      > > Taveras is supposed to work with CBOs. Ojeda's background is solidly rooted
      > > in CBOs.
      > >
      > > Interestingly, I rode the subway with someone from the Portoflio Planning
      > > and she said there was no organizational chart and she didn't know who was
      > > who. I guess OFIA can't get anything out to the public before they
      > > themselves can figure out which way is up?
      > >

      > --
      > Monica Major, Bronx Rep
      > Panel for Education Policy
      > majorm766@...