1480Re: [nyceducationnews] Tilden quality review

  • Mary-Powel Thomas
    Jan 3, 2007
      The quality reviews are only the reports of the
      "expert review teams"--the comments from parents,
      teachers, etc. will come later, after the surveys are
      developed. See
      http://schools.nyc.gov/Offices/ChildrenFirst/Accountability/PerfProgandQualMeasures/QualReviews/default.htm
      for information about the quality reviews, and
      http://schools.nyc.gov/Offices/ChildrenFirst/Accountability/PerfProgandQualMeasures/ProgReports/default.htm
      for information about the "progress reports," which
      will include the survey results (as part of "School
      Environment").

      The last item on the quality-review page is a review
      schedule. The first region to be reviewed was Region
      6, and when I went to the first school there, I found
      its review under "About Us," then "Statistics," then
      "Quality Review Report" (the next-to-last item).

      Best,

      Mary-Powel

      Mary-Powel Thomas
      President, CEC 15

      http://schools.nyc.gov/SchoolQuality/Reports/QRR/18K415.pdf

> [...]
      > knowing and respecting all students is immediately
      > observable. However, there
      > are not enough opportunities for students to
      > participate in extracurricular
      > activities in the arts, athletics, academics,
      > government and other programs that
      > involve them in the life of the school.
      >
      > Quality Statement 4 - Build and Align Capacity: The
      > development of instructional
      > leadership, staff, and capacity are aligned around
      > the school’s collaboratively
      > established goals for accelerating the learning of
      > each student.
      > This area of the school’s work is proficient
      > overall.
      >
      > Since her arrival, the principal has garnered the
      > overwhelming and enthusiastic
      > support of her students, administrators, teaching
      > staff and those parents who
      > have accepted the invitation to work with her in
      > improving the school. Her
      > actions have brought about significant improvement
      > in the school’s climate and
      > culture. All constituents state that they feel safe,
      > respected and valued. The
      > principal’s open and forthright approach to
      > individual and school problems is
      > highly respected. Administrators and teachers
      > recognize her expertise in
      > instructional pedagogy and value her capacity as the
      > instructional leader.
      > Students count her among the array of caring adults
      > who support their
      > educational experience.
      >
      > During her brief tenure, hiring has been limited.
      > The principal has criteria for
      > selecting security and student management personnel
      > that emphasize a deep caring
      > for children and an understanding of techniques that
      > are effective in reaching
      > students who may be resistant to learning.
      >
      > Prior to the principal’s appointment, professional
      > development was not the norm
      > in the school. The principal and the cabinet
      > analyzed student performance data,
      > surveyed staff to determine their strengths,
      > weaknesses and interests, and
      > targeted areas for professional development.
      > Teachers were enabled to develop
      > professional growth plans that incorporated
      > school-wide priorities, as well as
      > personal goals. The principal, through her active
      > monitoring of the building on
      > a daily basis, composite observations made with the
      > assistant principals and the
      > teacher evaluation process, supports teachers in
      > improving their instructional
      > practices. Teachers are encouraged to visit one
      > another’s classes but these
      > opportunities are not scheduled often enough for
      > them.
      >
      > Staff routinely undertake collaborative planning in
      > teams to evaluate the impact
      > of the school’s actions on achievement and
      > attendance, to consider the
      > implications of the analysis of assessment data on
      > the curriculum and new
      > techniques in instructional practice and to solve

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic