10680big news! Commissioner Mills resigns

  • leonie@att.net
    Nov 1, 2008
       Commissioner Richard Mills announced his resignation; saying he will leave office in June 2009.  His policies have been hugely influential in terms of their impact on NY schools for 13 years.  His resignation has been rumored so many times in the past; but this time it appears it is for real.

      He started as a progressive educator and later as Commissioner in Vermont; but for most of his tenure in NY State has emphasized standardized testing above everything else.

      Despite the PR gloss in the NY Times article, his reign has been very controversial.  He received the most negative press for his ineffectual management of the Roosevelt school district, which the state took over in 2002.

      Press releases from SED attached and below.  Links to NY Times and Daily News articles below, as well as  one in Newsday, in which the Regents deny Mills is leaving.  As usual, the atmosphere in Albany seems to lead to strange and inexplicable confusion.

      Education Commissioner to Leave Post in Albany
      New York Times, United States - 1 hour ago
      By WINNIE HU The state education commissioner, Richard P. Mills, will be stepping down in June after 14 years of overseeing 700 school districts and 3 ...

      State Education Commissioner Richard Mills to quit
      New York Daily News, NY - 6 hours ago
      By Kenneth Lovett ALBANY - State Education Commissioner Richard Mills will resign in June after 14years overseeing the state's vast educational system. ...

      State to keep its education chief
      Newsday, NY - 6 hours ago
      BY JOHN HILDEBRAND | john.hildebrand@... Amid a flurry of rumors, the state has issued an unusual formal statement of its desire to keep State ...

      From: "Tom Dunn" <TDUNN@...>
      To: "Jonathan Burman" <JBURMAN@...>
      Subject: News release from New York State Education Department
      Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2008 10:14:59 +0000

      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE, November 1, 2008

      For More Information Contact:

      Tom Dunn or Jonathan Burman at (518) 474-1201

      Tom’s Cell # is (518)331-6097

      Jonathan’s Cell # is (518)331-0216

      Internet:  http://www.nysed.gov

      NEW YORK’S EDUCATION COMMISSIONER,

      RICHARD P. MILLS, ANNOUNCES PLANS TO STEP DOWN NEXT YEAR;

      BEGINS PREPARING FOR TRANSITION

      After serving for more than thirteen years as New York ’s Education Commissioner, Richard P. Mills today announced that he has notified the Board of Regents of his decision to resign from Office by the end of June 2009.

      Commissioner Mills said, “The Regents, my colleagues and I, together with our partners, have completed an enormous body of work and have taken the first steps in the next phase of the Board’s agenda to raise achievement. We have established a timetable that ensures a seamless transition for my successor. I will complete the tasks the Regents assigned to me as we prepare the education system for the future.”

      Mills continued, “There is no better time for a transfer of leadership than when an organization is strong and the building blocks for the future are in place. I am confident that my successor will find an agency of strength with a compelling agenda for the future.”

      As Commissioner of Education, Mills serves as chief executive officer of the Board of Regents, which has jurisdiction over the most comprehensive state educational system in the nation.  The system encompasses every education endeavor in the State, including public and non-public elementary, middle and secondary education; public and independent colleges and universities; museums, libraries, historical societies and archives; the vocational rehabilitation system; and responsibility for the licensing, practice and oversight of 48 professions.

       “ New York is unique,” Mills said. “We are so fortunate that we have an education system here, a system that includes all of New York ’s educational and cultural institutions – schools, colleges, libraries, archives, museums, public television, the licensed professions, vocational rehabilitation, career and technical education, and so much more.  And unlike any other state, all of these are under the care of one board, the Regents,” Mills continued. “This system gives us a spectacular advantage, providing New Yorkers with the knowledge and skills that are the currency of today’s global economy. We must take full advantage of the opportunities this unique system gives us.”

      Mills continued, “There are so many people I want to thank, starting with the members of the Board of Regents. They have had the courage to set high standards and to insist that all children can succeed. I’d also like to thank my colleagues in the Education Department, whose dedication as public servants is unmatched. Thanks, also, to the teachers and school leaders who work tirelessly to lift up our children. Finally, I thank the students – our children – whose boundless energy and enthusiasm delights us all. Their ability to achieve, sometimes against the longest of odds, is a testament to the strength of the human spirit,” he concluded.

      Mills was appointed by the Board of Regents as President of the University of the State of New York and Commissioner of Education in August 1995.  Before being appointed Commissioner in New York , Mills served as Commissioner of Education in Vermont for seven years.

      Mills said, “The experience of serving New York ’s children is exhilarating. Even the hardest days have a clear purpose. I never tire of it. But now it’s time for me to begin a transition for the Department and for myself.”

                  Attached are: Mills’ letter to the Board of Regents, his biography, a photograph and a description of New York ’s education system.

      -30-