NYC music commission: Goals, headlines & projects

  • Jason Gross
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 22, 2006
      Hi all,

      Just wanted to talk about...

      GOALS

      Just wanted to follow-up on the discussion about goals that we came
      up with in the last meeting. Do they look good? Is there anyone you
      could change or add?

      Is everyone comfortable with the idea of our group speaking out
      against racism and homophobia in the industry, particularly when it
      comes to artists who might espouse this kind of thing or is the First
      Amendment more important here?

      TOPIC RESEARCH

      Another idea that came up during the meeting is that there are areas
      of research where we'd need to find out more information. If anyone
      has any interest in looking into these subjects further and reporting
      back to the group, let me know. You wouldn't be expected to do all
      the work yourself but even if you could do a little research, it
      would be a big help.

      - Affordable artist housing
      - Health care programs
      - Visa/travel issues
      - The Cabaret Law
      - Grants- what's available, how are they obtained?
      - Anything else?

      ARTICLES OF INTEREST:

      Here's two articles I thought you all might be interested in seeing.

      Creative types get a bit of business schooling
      <http://www.calendarlive.com/printedition/calendar/cl-ca-capital20aug20,0,5078755.story?coll=cl-calendar>
      Though this group focuses on visual arts, it's an interesting idea
      that might be good to apply to the music world

      New city code should tone down the noise
      <http://www.amny.com/news/local/am-noise0822,0,1900386.story>
      The first changes in the noise code since 1973

      Note this in particular: "For bars and nightclubs, speaker stacks
      will have to be turned down to 42 decibels, instead of the old 45
      limit. Also, the bass vibrations themselves will now count as noise.
      The old code only classified audible music as noise pollution.
      Although the maximum fines for some noise violations will increase,
      nightclub owners will be given the option of installing more
      soundproofing instead of paying cash to the city. To enforce the new
      code, police officers throughout the city will be outfitted with
      decibel meters."

      By the way, for anyone trying to contact me this weekend, I'm out of
      town and mostly offline from Thursday through Sunday but I'll be
      checking my mail when I get back.

      Best,
      Jason
    • Danielle Culmone
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 28, 2006
        I would be happy to look up Health care programs for musicians. Hopefully I
        will be able to get to it this week.

        Danielle Culmone

        Vice President of Sales

        646.226.5861

        dculmo@...

        www.sophistproductions.com

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Jason Gross
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 28, 2006
          Thanks Danielle- that would be great. I'll get you the information
          that I've collected so far. Memphis especially sounded like really
          had their act together.

          Best,
          Jason

          At 11:01 PM 8/28/2006 -0400, you wrote:

          >I would be happy to look up Health care programs for musicians. Hopefully I
          >will be able to get to it this week.
          >
          >Danielle Culmone
          >
          >Vice President of Sales
          >
          >646.226.5861
          >
          ><mailto:dculmo%40tmail.com>dculmo@...
          >
          >www.sophistproductions.com

          Perfect Sound Forever- online music magazine since 1993- now new and
          semi-improved!
          <http://www.perfectsoundforever.com>
          Crazed by the Music blog: <http://blogs.popmatters.com/crazedbythemusic/>
        • Jason Gross
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 29, 2006
            Hi all,

            Just to follow-up on topics for research within the group, here's a
            list of people who've volunteered to look into these topics

            - Health care programs (Danielle)
            - Visa/travel issues (Matthew)
            - Grants- what's available, how are they obtained? (Lisa)
            (mind you, these people would be glad to work with others here to find info!)

            NO TAKEN YET:
            - The Cabaret Law
            - Affordable artist housing

            I myself am gonna assist all/any above and provide any info I have
            already. Any other takers?

            PLUS... for the goals we came up with, any ideas about how to narrow
            or expand what we came up with at the last meeting?

            Best,
            Jason

            P.S. Nice Voice article, written by our own Trish Romano!

          • Candice Beckmann
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 1, 2006
              Hey Danielle,

              Here are some links I found a while back that might be helpful.

              and

              ~ Candice

              dculmo@tmail. com

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 1, 2006
                I can do some looking into affordable housing.

                ~ Candice

                ~ Candice Beckmann

              • Jason Gross
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 2, 2006
                  That's excellent. Thanks Candice!

                  I'm off on this holiday weekend but I'll update the list below after
                  that and work on a follow-up of goals too.

                  Happy labor day,
                  Jason

                  --- In nyc-music-commission@yahoogroups.com, Candice Beckmann
                  <beckmanncandice@...> wrote:

                  > I can do some looking into affordable housing.
                  >
                  > ~ Candice
                  >
                  > Jason Gross <perfect@...> wrote:
                  > Hi all,
                  >
                  > Just to follow-up on topics for research within the group, here's a
                  > list of people who've volunteered to look into these topics
                  >
                  > - Health care programs (Danielle)
                  > - Visa/travel issues (Matthew)
                  > - Grants- what's available, how are they obtained? (Lisa)
                  > (mind you, these people would be glad to work with others here to
                  find info!)

                  > NO TAKEN YET:
                  > - The Cabaret Law
                  > - Affordable artist housing
                  >
                  > I myself am gonna assist all/any above and provide any info I have
                  > already. Any other takers?
                  >
                  > PLUS... for the goals we came up with, any ideas about how to narrow
                  > or expand what we came up with at the last meeting?
                  >
                  > Best,
                  > Jason
                  >
                  > P.S. Nice Voice article, written by our own Trish Romano!
                  >
                  > At 11:01 PM 8/28/2006 -0400, you wrote:
                  >
                  > >I would be happy to look up Health care programs for musicians.
                  Hopefully I
                  > >will be able to get to it this week.
                  > >
                  > >Danielle Culmone
                  > >
                  > >Vice President of Sales