News from The Western Wind

  • The Western Wind
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2011

      Dear Friends,

      As we approach the vernal equinox, the coming of spring, change is also coming to The Western Wind.

      Laura Christian will be leaving us after our March 18th Happy Journey Concert. Her husband, Peter, a dear friend and supporter, was suddenly and unexpectedly released from his job in New York City and was unable to find another position in the New York area.  He has taken a position with a company in Houston , Texas , where Laura will be joining him later this year.

      However, after a month of auditions, we are happy to report that we have chosen Laura’s successor: Linda Jones, a wonderful soprano, who has a broad range of singing and teaching experience. (See her bio below.)  Linda will be joining us (and Laura) at The Happy Journey Concert on March 18.

      for HAPPY JOURNEY info and tickets: www.westernwind.org/happyjourney.htm

      Following the concert, there will be a farewell reception for Laura.  We will also welcome Linda into The Western Wind. We hope you can join us!

      You will also have a chance to meet and work with Linda at our BIG APPLE WORKSHOP on March 19th. For info and to enroll:

      www.westernwind.org/BigApple.htm

      New Orleans native Linda Lee Jones is active as a soprano, teacher and massage therapist in New York City and Central New Jersey . Her work as an ensemble singer has afforded her the opportunity to perform with the area's most prominent choral groups, including the choirs of Trinity Wall Street Church, Musica Sacra, the New York Choral Artists, St. Ignatius Loyola Church and the Mostly Mozart Festival, along with some of the world's finest orchestras and conductors. Ms. Jones is a member of the professional Chorale of the Carmel Bach Festival in Carmel , CA and sings regularly with the choir of St. Mary the Virgin in New York . As a soloist she has appeared with the Symphony Chorus of New Orleans, the Louisiana Vocal Arts Chorale, the Masterwork Chorus of NJ and the Argento Chamber Ensemble in New York . Before relocating to New Jersey she served as Director of Music for Munholland United Methodist Church in New Orleans , where she worked with choristers of all ages. Ms. Jones hold a Bachelor of Music degree in Voice Performance from Loyola University and a Master of Music degree in Choral Conducting and Voice from Westminster Choir College of Rider University. She is very excited to join The Western Wind in preserving and promoting the art of ensemble singing through concerts and educational outreach.

      Friday March 18, 2011

      8 PM

      The Western Wind

      presents

      The Happy Journey

      An American Music Celebration

      Shaker Songs

      New England Anthems and Folk-Hymns

       Southern Spirituals

      19th Century Parlor Songs

      Pop& Jazz Arrangements

      New Music by Philip Glass, Robert Dennis, Matthew Harris,

      Tania León/Michel Camilo

      The Church of Saint Luke in the Fields

      ( Hudson and Grove Streets in Greenwich Village)

      (click on ticket price to purchase tickets online)

       $25 General Admission

       $35 Reserved Section

       $20 Student/Senior

       $100 Patron’s Row ($75  tax deductible)

       $50  Sponsor  ($25 tax deductible)

      Proceeds benefit The Western Wind Arts in Education and Workshop

      Scholarship Programs)

      Meet the Artists at  a Post Concert Reception

      bid farewell to Laura Christian and welcome our new soprano, Linda Lee Jones

                                                                          For Reservations and informationwww.westernwind.org/happyjourney.htm

                                                                                 Call (212) 873-2848 or e-mail: info@...

                           ² MasterCard ²Visa ²American Express²Discover²

       A Western Wind Workshop in New York City. One day of a cappella heaven!

      sATURDAY,  mARCH 19

      BIG APPLE ONE DAY WORKSHOP

      in Ensemble Singing

      Medieval, Renaissance, Early American, Romantic,

      Contemporary, Pop, Jazz

      THE RUDOLPH STEINER UPPERSCHOOL

      15 East 78 Street, New York City (just East of 5th Ave )

      10:00-5:30

      Tuition: $85 (if enrolled by March 12; $95 after March 12)

      SPECIAL: 25% discount for 1st time participants at a Western Wind Workshop

      eNROLL:  www.westernwind.org/BigApple.htm

      __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5918 (20110301) __________

      http://www.eset.com
    • The Western Wind
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 12, 2011
        Dear Friends and Fans,

        Our dear Richard Slade is stepping down from the enemble as of August 1, after the second Smith Workshop .

        Here is what Richard's says:

        To My Western Wind Family

        Eleven years ago my kids were small and I was piecing together a New York musician's life from a patchwork of gigs. Then the most marvelous thing happened to me: The Western Wind. Eleven years later my kids are no longer small! And I am an utterly different person. So much of what has grown in me I owe to The Western Wind and to the people I have met through my involvement with the group. Now, to paraphrase an aria from La Boheme, "though I came with joy at your call of song now is the time for me to move on." My voice has grown, and it wants to apply itself more to recital repertory. And I have grown and want to explore new challenges. To quote C. S. Lewis, "we must take the adventure that Aslan sends us." And so it is time for me to open myself to whatever is to come next. More teaching, surely. More conducting too. And who knows what else. Besides, it is time for someone else to have the fun of singing with the Winds! I love all of you and hope to connect in various ways as our lives go on. You can always find me on FaceBook or write to me at Richardthetenor@.... Farewell -- and I hope to see many of you at Smith this Summer!

        We all wish Richard the greatest success and fulfillment in his future endeavors.

        Join us at Smith II, if you can, to bid farewell to Richard.  Early enrollment deadline is 6/22.  www.westernwind.org/smith.htm

        The Western Wind

        __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 6200 (20110612) __________

        http://www.eset.com