John Link's arrangements of Chopin's 24 Preludes June 6-8

  • John Link
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2007
      HTML Message
      Dear Friends,

      We are now less than one week away from opening night for
      The EveryWoman Series: The Red Thread, a dance concert in which I will present the World Premiere of my arrangements of all 24 Preludes by Frédéric Chopin in a performance by the John Link Project, an ensemble consisting of five voices, guitar, bass, drums, and violin. I consider the music I will present next week to be the most challenging and satisfying I have ever done.

      Here is something that I have written for the printed program:

      I consider the Preludes of Frédéric Chopin to be 24 puzzles. After reviewing recordings by many pianists I concluded that there are several preludes for which the puzzles have not been solved, and whose nature is generally misunderstood. In some cases the chosen tempo obscures both the melody and the harmony. In other cases it has not been understood that the melody is as syncopated as a bossa nova by Antonio Carlos Jobim or a rag by Scott Joplin. In still other cases I believe that Chopin left false clues such as a misleading time signature. In arranging the 24 Preludes for the John Link Project I have found solutions that I believe reveal the true nature of each of Chopin's miniature masterpieces. I am amazed that his 24 Preludes, completed in 1839, still sound so fresh and modern in the 21st century. I hope that you will enjoy my arrangements and that through them you will discover that the 24 Preludes are even richer than you might have thought.

      I invite you to join us for a very special evening. If you don't live in or near New York, this is a reason to visit the Big Apple.

      John Link

      P.S. Please forward this message to anyone you think might be interested.

      World Premiere of Lori Belilove's

      The EveryWoman Series:
      The Red Thread

      Tickets at SmartTix or by calling (212) 691-5040

      "Lori Belilove is arguably the best, most devoted Duncan interpreter in America. When she performs Duncan's dances you see the glorious sweep through space, the oppositional skips, the swooping torso. You see the emotional range from breathy joy to seductiveness to earthbound despair"
      -Wendy Perron, editor,
      Dance Magazine
      Who: Lori Belilove, solo dance artist and founder of the Isadora Duncan Dance Foundation in New York City; members of Lori Belilove & Company, including a cast of 15 guest dancers ages 6 through 65; with live music by the John Link Project, an ensemble of five voices, guitar, bass, drums, and violin.

      What: The world premiere of a new suite of dances choreographed by Lori Belilove, The EveryWoman Series: The Red Thread. Belilove's new choreography is set to the music of Frédéric Chopin's 24 Preludes uniquely arranged and performed live by the John Link Project, and inspired by the fine art photography of Stephanie Matthews.

      When: Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, June 6th, 7th, and 8th, 2007 at 8:00 p.m. Tickets available at SmartTix or by calling (212) 691-5040. General admission is $28. Discounted tickets available for students, seniors, and groups. VIP tickets are available for $60 for the Thursday, June 7th show, which will include a post-show reception.

      Where: The Ailey Citigroup Theater, located at 405 West 55th Street (at Ninth Avenue) in New York City.

      The EveryWoman Series: The Red Thread is an emotionally charged suite of dances, a dynamic fusion of Duncan-inspired movements and contemporary ballet, further inspired by the earthbound disciplines of African, Middle Eastern, Latin, and Asian dance. This fresh new work explores the feelings and experiences of women at different phases of their lives, as children, maidens, mothers, guardians, and wise women, and will take the audience on a journey illuminating the universal humanity and untold stories of us all.

      "
      The EveryWoman Series explores what women feel through different stages of their lives, what they long for and struggle with by drawing upon the universal themes in Isadora Duncan's dance movements", says Belilove. "The idea came to me to create new dances that are about our lives today because, as timeless and classic as they are, Isadora's dances were created in the early part of the 20th century and express her rebellion against women's roles in the Victorian era. Our lives today have different stresses and constraints. Dance is the language I am using to express the feelings of the contemporary woman. The red thread is the bloodline that binds us all as humans. The EveryWoman Series: The Red Thread is a bridge embracing rituals and traditions as a means of connection and renewal among women."

      Tickets at SmartTix or by calling (212) 691-5040