2313Seeking A Cappella Rockstars - Auditions for The Current (ALL PARTS)

  • thecurrentnyc
    Feb 6, 2013

      Are you a former collegiate a cappella junkie? Do you stay up nights, bopping along wistfully to old episodes of The Sing-Off that you've still got secretly saved on your DVR – or are you too obsessed with trying to track down a pair of sold-out PTX tickets online? Would your friends say that your compulsion to belt out homemade harmony lines at karaoke could use a nice healthy outlet? Read on, cool kids – read on. There may be help for you.

      The Current is a semi-professional mixed a cappella group in NYC, whose musical heart beats for pop, rock, and other contemporary-ish stuff within the cultural soundscape, including indie and original music. Founded in January 2011, we are presently a twelve-strong group of a cappella-philes – mostly college group alums – kicking off our third year on the scene. And while we're now (allegedly) all adults here, what we loved most about our former groups has been where we've always strived to start and end: a solid sonic blend, with some A-major value placed on camaraderie in the process – plus as much stage action as we can stir up. To date, we've headlined sold-out shows at local joints like The Red Lion and The Triad, brought the house down at charity events and schools across the boroughs, and also been known to turn up more spontaneously in hotspots like Times Square and Rockefeller Center.

      At this time we are looking for a few new members to round out our roster, and we will be auditioning all parts. Bonus points if you are also a vocal percussionist and/or arranger, though neither of those skills is required. In terms of demographics, the group is comprised of a wide range of ages, day jobs, lifestyles, and musical tastes – and we like it that way, so bring it on; all interested peeps are encouraged to audition. If you meet any to all of the following criteria, we will be so excited to hear from you:

      - You are a solid singer who loves to sing

      - You have a good ear for harmony

      - You have a good sense of rhythm

      - You learn music quickly

      - You have past experience with an a cappella group

      - You heart this genre and yearn for a Big Apple aca-posse

      - You have the ability to blend with other voices and hold your own part

      - You like to sing solos and otherwise perform on stage

      - You work well with a group

      - You are directable, yet also willing to contribute

      - You are fun, easy-going, and accountable

      - You are willing and able to commit to regular Wednesday night rehearsals

      - You have room in your schedule for gigs and other group-related greatness

      Auditions will be held on the evenings of Tuesday, February 19th, and Wednesday, February 20th, in midtown Manhattan, with callbacks for those we'd like to hear again on the evening of Wednesday, February 27th. Please email TheCurrentNYC@...  for more information and to schedule an audition. If you have a calendar conflict with these dates (or see this announcement after the fact), other options may be available, so feel free to get in touch.

      Thanks for reading, forwarding, and/or relevantly re-posting.

      We look forward to hearing you sing for us soon!

      www.TheCurrentNYC.com

      www.facebook.com/TheCurrentNYC