June vacation trip

  • MoparCzy
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2008
      Been meaning to write this up and post it to the mailing list:

      Marsha & I went on vacation starting 6-7-8. Hopped into Hijinx and headed
      east to Muskegon, MI and Sandusky, OR. Before leaving I had checked for gas
      stations along our proposed route using www.maps.google.com,
      http://autos.msn.com/everyday/GasStations.aspx, and www.usps.com. I used
      the USPS website to get the zipcodes for the gas price website, and google
      maps to figure out the route and mileage between each anticipated stop. I
      planned each stop at around 150-175 miles so that the car would not ever be
      too low on gas. I will post the mileage information at the end of this.

      So we took I-84 east to I-82 (misnamed highway if you ask me, runs north and
      south, should be I-7) up to Hwy 395 which got us to I-90. Drove through
      Spokane, WA and northern ID, on into Montana. We stopped at a rest area in
      western Montana for the night, then continued our trip east, diverting to
      I-94 as I wanted to end up going through northern Michigan and crossing into
      southern Michigan via the Mackinac Bridge. We passed through North Dakota,
      Minnesota, and Wisconsin on our way to Muskegon, MI. We spent a couple of
      days visiting Marsha's relatives then headed on over to Cedar Point
      amusement park on Lake Erie. During our trip through Michigan, we
      discovered that there are two lifeforms that dominate that state: Ants and
      mosquitoes. The first time we stopped in MI I got bit repeatedly and every
      time I got out of the car or stopped it somewhere with the windows down I
      got bit again. Saw a post card in St. Ignace, MI that said "Michigan State
      Bird" and showed a mosquito on it. So very true. Also got caught in
      thunder storms in Michigan right by the Mackinac Bridge, then again at Cedar
      Point.

      As I said, Cedar Point is an amusement park. They have some of the most
      extreme roller coasters in the world there. I don't like roller coasters
      and actually only rode 3 of them, Marsha loves them and rode 9. She wanted
      to ride one more, but it was down for repairs when we were there. We both
      rode the oldest coaster in the park; Blue Streak, built in 1964 and a wooden
      coaster. Very rough ride, almost felt like the cars were going to leave the
      track. Also rode Cedar Creek Mine ride, a wood frame but actually steel
      coaster, with no inversions; and the Iron Dragon, a suspended coaster, the
      cars hang from the track kind of like a tram, also with no inversions. I
      guess you could say I don't like being upside down. Marsha also rode the
      Magnum Force, 305 foot lift and 93 mph top speed; Mean Streak, a huge wooden
      coaster; Raptor, a suspended coaster where your feet dangle as you ride;
      Gemini, a wooden racing coaster; Mantis, a standing coaster; and the first
      and last coaster she rode was the Magnum XL200. There were two others she
      chose not to ride, the Corkscrew, she said she had done all that on the
      other rides; and Top Thrill Dragster, it uses linear induction electric
      motors to launch you to 120 mph in 4 seconds and has a top height of 420
      feet. She did not want to ride it as it just goes up comes back down and
      brings you back to the station, basically a simple oval with a twist. The
      park shut down the coasters twice while we were there due to thunder storms.
      both times for around 2 hours each.

      When we left Cedar Point, we headed back west. Went through Indiana and
      into Illinois. Found out that the last National Neon gathering was
      happening in Belvidere, IL that weekend and that Erik was there with his
      dad, Doug. It wasn't that far out of our way, so we stopped by. Got to
      meet Matt Wiggins the guy who runs the www.neons.org national Neon website.
      Also met a few other people from across the country who are still into
      neons. If we had made it there sooner, we might have been in contention for
      the people from the farthest away, since Erik & Doug flew there.
      Unfortunately it was Saturday night and the gig was winding down. To bad I
      didn't know it was happening sooner, could have taken an extra few days off
      and left earlier to get all of our stuff done and still make the gathering.

      The weather was going from okay to horrible as we were there, so I decided
      to continue west before the Mississippi river could flood enough to block
      all the roads back home. We ended up having to take Hwy 20 west as both
      I-80 and I-90/94 were closed down somewhere between us and the west. About
      11:00 pm central time we were driving in a lightning storm like Marsha & I
      have never seen. Lightning flashes on 3 sides so continuous that there was
      never a moment without some lightning. No thunder anywhere, just lightning.
      At around 2:30 am central time, the rain started coming down so hard I could
      not see the road in front of the car with the wipers on full, headlights and
      fog lamps on. Ended up pulling off the highway and under an overpass to
      wait for the rain to let up enough to see. When we made the next rest area
      around 3:30 am, there was an attendant who said that right before they lost
      power the wind in the area had been around 60 mph.

      We continued on, traveling through Iowa, back into Minnesota, on into South
      Dakota. We stopped at the well advertised tourist attraction, Wall Drug
      Store, in Wall, SD. Then headed on over to Keystone, SD, the town nearest
      Mt. Rushmore. We spent the night there and checked out Mt. Rushmore the
      next day. Found out that we need to plan a trip to the area for a later
      day, much more than just the monument to see there. From there, drove
      through Sturgis, SD, a small town with a big reputation and luckily not bike
      week so not crowded. From there, a trip by Devils' Tower in Wyoming then
      headed south to catch I-80. We drove through the corner of Utah and on into
      Idaho. Stopped in Boise to check out the Birds Of Prey rehab place, and
      play some. Then headed home. Got in on Wednesday 6-18-8.

      ON the trip, the Neon averaged 35.5 mpg while traveling over a distance of
      5986 miles. We used 171 gallons of fuel. Our cost for fuel was $832.09,
      with the prices being as low as $3.799 and as high as $4.199. In some
      places, the mid-range fuel was cheaper than regular unleaded. The worst
      tank of fuel was 28.75 mpg while the best was 44.45 mpg. In most of the
      mountain states, MT & WY, the regular unleaded was only 85 octane. The car
      ran just fine on it and still averaged 35 mpg.

      Well, we had fun for the most part and will be planning another trip soon,
      but not until at least next year.

      Steve Stephens - Estacada, OR - Current vehicles: 1972 Plymouth Road Runner
      "Dream Of The Archer", 1983 Honda CB1000C Custom motorcycle "Silver Wheels",
      & 1997 Magenta Dodge Neon "Hijinx". 2 door base coupe, SOHC, MTX, Purchased
      September 1, 2002 with 68,000 miles, now over 188,000. Mods: Eibach Pro Kit
      Springs, Energy Suspension Bushing kit, KYB struts, American Racing 5 spoke
      mags, Federal SS535 tires (treadwear 260), EVD short shift, cruise control,
      95 Sport Coupe front and rear seats.
    • Erik
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2008
        Only the 2nd Oregonian to sign the Neon Gathering Registrar and have a picture of the OR plated car on site at the main hotel. Very cool to see you, after you guys left a few of the week long regulars asked who the magenta car was from Oregon. Too funny. Glad to see your trip was so fulfilling for you guys.

        Erik