Re: [nwneon] Neon overheating problems

  • Matt Beazer
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 1, 2005
      It's strange, I've never heard of a radiator getting plugged with only 81k on
      it only 10k after being flushed, but it's the only thing I can think of too.
      When running when I took the thermostat out completely, coolant did start
      overflowing out of it when I started the thing running, so the water pump
      must be working. Nothing else makes sense.

      I'll let you know when I figure it out... annoying.

      MattB

      On Sunday 31 July 2005 10:26 pm, Erik wrote:
      > Sounds like a plugged radiator to me. Theres a shop here in Vancouver that
      > sells the dual fan radiator for 119 brand new.
      >
      > Erik

    • Erik
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 1, 2005
        so find a known good radiator, swap it in, see if the problem goes away,
        then replace as needed.

        We found a star washer under the ground strap on my Dad's 95's starter lead
        (where it bolts to the bell housing), suddenly the car made more power, the
        charging system worked properly, and the overheating issue stopped.

        Erik
        > It's strange, I've never heard of a radiator getting plugged with only 81k
        > on
        > it only 10k after being flushed, but it's the only thing I can think of
        > too.
        > When running when I took the thermostat out completely, coolant did start
        > overflowing out of it when I started the thing running, so the water pump
        > must be working. Nothing else makes sense.
        >
        > I'll let you know when I figure it out... annoying.
        >
        > MattB
        >

        > On Sunday 31 July 2005 10:26 pm, Erik wrote:
        >> Sounds like a plugged radiator to me. Theres a shop here in Vancouver
        >> that
        >> sells the dual fan radiator for 119 brand new.
        >>
        >> Erik

      • rob wood
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 1, 2005
          u just had a flush done... as good as flushes are i do them all the time at work (chrysler) u should see how many problems a flush can create... especially if a sealer is added...

          rob in tacoma

        • Matt Beazer
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 3, 2005
            Yup, it was the radiator. I had to buy one locally for $125, and it's not
            aluminum, but I had to get to work the next day. Thanks for the help guys.

            On Sunday 31 July 2005 10:26 pm, Erik wrote:
            > Sounds like a plugged radiator to me. Theres a shop here in Vancouver that
            > sells the dual fan radiator for 119 brand new.
            >
            > Erik

            http://www.turbomopar.com
            1998 Plymouth Neon - Daily Driver -15.9@87mph
            "Contrary to popular belief, speed doesn't kill. No one has ever died from
            speed. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy
            Clarkston, Top Gear U.K.
          • Matt Beazer
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 9, 2005
              I'll be changing the head this weekend. The Neon decided it wanted the ported
              head that's been sitting on the shelf for almost 2 years now. It was eating
              coolant and not firing on #4 at all any more, overheating, etc. I was
              working on it, pulled the plug on #4, and there's a puddle of green on top of
              the piston... I'm hoping I didn't screw up the bottom end turning it over,
              the time right before I found it it didn't want to turn over... hydrolock.
              ARGH!

            • James Kearney
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 10, 2005
                Yeesh. Did it shut down normally before, and then just not start? You
                may have got lucky and the coolant pooled in the cylinder after you shut
                it down.

                --
                Jaymzx
                www.digitalnarcotic.com

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 10, 2005
                  I tapped it once, and it engaged but didn't move. I tapped it again and it
                  turned over and fired up. I'm hoping it just squirted out enough through the
                  overlap on the cam and through the headgasket hole to keep from doing any
                  damage. Didn't sound odd when it was running, but I"m going to pull the
                  piston/rod assembly and check the crank and rod and bearing just in case.

                  The worst vehicle I've ever driven: 1970 Ford F-150 with the 360. It can't
                  accelerate, it can't corner, it can't brake (4 wheel drums). It's so bad you
                  have to crank the wheel to the right a quarter turn under braking it it wants
                  to change into the left lane. Oh, and the rear view mirror fell off so I had
                  to drive home with no rear visibility. Scary. ;)

                • shane hartley
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 31, 2005
                    I cracked my Kaminari front bumper and I dont want to try and fix it (I have
                    no idea how to use fiberglass) and I'm thinking to just switch to a srt
                    bumper and headlights. Anyway shoot me an email if you have these...thanks.

                    shane