"The 12th Anniversary of American Cowardice"

  • b soltis
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 4 6:15 PM
      "The 12th Anniversary of American Cowardice"
      What You Don’t Know Can Hurt You
      By Tom Engelhardt
      March 28, 2013.

      We should already know more than enough to be horrified by the state of our American world.  It should disturb us deeply that a government of, by, and for the war-makers, intelligence operatives, bureaucrats, privatizing mercenary corporations, surveillers, torturers, and assassins is thriving in Washington.  As for the people -- that’s us -- in these last years, we largely weren’t there, even as the very idea of a government of, by, and for us bit the dust, and our leaders felt increasingly unconstrained when committing acts of shame in our name.

      It’s true that, last week, few in Congress cared to discuss, no less memorialize, the 10th anniversary of the invasion of Iraq.  Nonetheless, two anniversaries of American disasters and crimes abroad -- the “mission accomplished” debacle of 2003 and the 45th anniversary of the My Lai massacre -- were at least noted in passing in our world.  In my hometown paper, the New York Times, the Iraq anniversary was memorialized with a lead op-ed by a former advisor to General David Petraeus who, amid the rubble, went in search of all-American “silver linings.”

      To read the complete article:

      B Soltis

      "To live as if our choices make any real difference in the long run may be the act of a fool, but to live as if they do not, that is the act of a coward."

      — Albert Camus