Fight Citizens United: Don't let corporations hide their political spending

  • b soltis
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2012
      The U.S. Supreme Court's disastrous Citizens United v. FEC ruling has allowed corporate CEOs to unleash a torrent of secret corporate spending into our political system.

      Indefensibly, CEOs are able to keep both the public and their own shareholders in the dark about the use of company funds for political ends.

      This gives CEOs free rein to make political expenditures that they would never be able to justify publicly -- including campaigns so toxic they would inevitably tarnish the company's brand were the funding source made public.

      And the results have been absolutely corrosive to our democracy.

      The Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), which is a federal agency, can require publicly traded companies to disclose the money they spend on politics. And they are accepting public comments on the merits of doing so.

      So I just submitted a public comment telling the SEC not to let corporations hide their political spending. I hope you do, too.

      You can find out more information and easily submit a comment at the link below.

      http://act.credoaction.com/campaign/sec_political_spending/?r_by=51067-2100720-7N7o7Ix&rc=paste1
      B Soltis

      "To live as if our choices make any real difference in the long run may be the act of a fool, but to live as if they do not, that is the act of a coward."
      — Albert Camus