Hero Election Board Dismissed By Judge In Middle of Investigation

  • Marybeth Kuznik
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2011
      From VotePA.us homepage this morning:

      HERO ELECTION BOARD DISMISSED BY JUDGE
      IN MIDDLE OF ONGOING INVESTIGATION

      December 1, 2011 -- Despite an ongoing forensic investigation into serious voting machine problems reported in Venango County's primary election earlier this year, Judge Oliver J. Lobaugh today dismissed Venango County Election Board members Craig Adams, Martha Breene, and Eleanora Miller from service.

      Appointed in early Spring to run elections during the year when County Comissioners were candidates for reelection, the Venango County Election Board was the first in Pennsylvania to take their statutory duty to investigate election irregularities seriously enough to take a hard look into problems reported with electronic voting machines. In early June they ordered a forensic exam of Venango County's ES&S iVotronic electronic voting system, the first of its kind ever in any of the fifty Pennsylvania counties still using paperless, unverifiable Direct Recording Electronic (DRE) voting machines. The forensic audit was being done for free by two concerned Carnegie-Mellon Computer Science professors.

      The Election Board fought heroically all Summer and Fall for their forensic exam despite fierce opposition from local politicians, tea partiers, and a biased local newspaper; as well as lawsuit threats recently coming from the voting machine manufacturer ES&S.

      Judge Lobaugh's order dismissing the Election Board comes at a time when results of the forensic exam and the board's investingation into the voting machine problems was close to being ready for a public release.

      Although generally VotePA does our best to think the best of our public officials, the timing of this Judge's dismissal of the Election Board leaves us no choice but to wonder what the heck is going on in Venango County? What is it that someone, somewhere apparently does not want us to know what about our voting machines and our elections in Pennsylvania?