Mothers Day of Peace Vigil/Rally

  • metrudeau
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2007
      Nurses Uniting All
      Mother's Day for Peace Vigil/Rally

      April 24, 2007 [Philadelphia, PA] – The Pennsylvania State Nurses
      Association (PSNA), a professional membership organization focusing
      on education, legislation, advocacy and practice is mobilizing the
      strength of nurses to promote peace for all. Today, PSNA announced
      that on Mother's Day, May 13, from 2 pm to 4 pm, nurses, with their
      families and friends, will come together at School House Lane and
      Vaux Street (between Ridge and Henry Avenues) in the East Falls area
      of the city to express their personal commitment to peace. The
      purpose of the 2007 Nurses Uniting All for Peace Vigil is to engage
      and inspire local communities to move from concern to action on the
      issue of world peace.

      Drawing on Julia Ward Howe's original vision of a Mother's Day for
      Peace, nurses are spreading a message of peace that resonates with
      people from all walks of life. Julia Ward Howe is best remembered for
      writing the "Battle Hymn of the Republic" but she also issued a
      manifest for peace in 1870. This evolved into the Mother's Day Peace
      Proclamation and by 1872 into a "Mother's Day for Peace."

      As the tradition is renewed, meaningful words echo from the 1870
      Proclamation. "We will not have great questions decided by irrelevant
      agencies." "Our sons shall not be taken from us to unlearn all that
      we have taught them of charity, mercy, and patience."
      "From the bosom of the devastated earth, a voice goes up with our
      own. It says, "Disarm, Disarm!" "The sword of murder is not the
      balance of justice. Blood does not wipe out dishonor, nor violence
      indicate possession."

      Bring your Mother. Bring your whole family.
      Peace is healthy no matter what your age or where you live.

      For questions or to participate, please contact
      mothersdayofpeace@...