"The real SEPTA horror"

  • Chris Robinson
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2004
      Philadelphia Daily News, posted on Tue, Nov. 02, 2004
      Letters to the editor | The real SEPTA horror

      I CHECKED to see if Dan Geringer's article on the SEPTA hearing (Oct. 20)
      was a news article or an opinion piece. Or maybe humor.

      Let's see, Mr. Geringer is not listed as a columnist, and the article did
      not appear under "Opinion," so I guess it's supposed to be a news article. I
      learned from it that SEPTA is engaged in : " 'Show Me the Money!' "
      "doomsday," "scary," "mass hysteria," "sadistic bloodletting" worse than
      "Freddy Krueger and Jason Voorhees" and is "allegedly teetering on the brink
      of Transit Armageddon."

      Then Mr. Geringer cherry-picked the few SEPTA-critical comments of the
      morning to support his "news" article.

      Nowhere does he offer any evidence that SEPTA is not running a $62 million
      deficit. Nowhere does he dispute that SEPTA is one of the worst-funded
      transit agencies in the U.S. It is and it is. It's also one of the most
      fiscally efficient transit systems in the country.

      Even people Geringer quoted agreed that SEPTA needs increased dedicated
      funding.

      Even the independent audit commissioned by Gov. Rendell says that SEPTA is a
      lean operation.

      That's not to say that SEPTA doesn't deserve criticism. We all have our
      favorite lists of legitimate complaints.

      But until SEPTA and the 73 other Pennsylvania transit agencies get an
      adequate, dedicated stream of operating funds from Harrisburg, not even
      Freddy and Jason can get them to improve.

      The Daily News should borrow that SEPTA slide show, check it out against the
      facts, then get back to us with a real news article. Otherwise you have done
      a disservice to the people of Philadelphia - and to everyone in
      Pennsylvania.

      If your readers want a better picture of the transit funding crisis, I
      suggest they go to www.phillytransit.com.

      Peter Javsicas
      Executive Director, Pennsylvanians for Transportation Solutions
      Member, Philadelphia Transit Campaign Steering Committee
      <www.phillytransit.com>
      Philadelphia
      ----
      © 2004 Philadelphia Daily News and wire service sources. All Rights
      Reserved.
      http://www.philly.com