We can create a PUBLIC bank in Philadelphia

  • Stanley Shapiro
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 13, 2013
      Hi folks,

      On Monday, Mike Krauss of the PA Public Bank Project is going to make a presentation, and lead a discussion, on creating a public bank in Philadelphia.  That would be a wholly owned bank of Philadelphia that holds all the City's deposits, makes loans based on what's good for Philadelphia, not multinational climate-killing corporations, and actually returns money to the City instead of ripping it off.  This CAN be done if we have the smarts and the political will to do it.  A bank like this has actually existed in North Dakota  of all place, since 1919.  And North Dakota is the only state whose economy didn't go into the tank after the crash five years ago.

      Here are the details.

      What: We Envision a Philadelphia Public Bank

      When: Monday, September 16th

                        5:30-6:15 – Enjoy some tasty treats, great conversation

                        6:15-6:45 – Mike Krauss, Chair,  PA Public Banking Project http://papublicbankproject.org/ discusses public banking movement across America and in Philadelphia

                        6:45-7:30 – Breakout groups in which we discuss the mission and structure of a Philadelphia Public Bank

                        7:30-8 PM – Report backs from groups, and general discussion.

      Where: 714 Market St., 5th Floor, Wade Blank Room

      Why: To Wash the Wall Street Banks Right Out of Our Wallets!

      Tasty treats will be courtesy of Weavers' Way co-op.  Please click here if you're coming to help us know how much to bring.