10611Ask the ?Question? at Sunday's Community Forum for the Next Governor.

  • brandywine@juno.com
    Mar 20, 2014
      Community Forum for the Next Governor
      Sunday, March 23,
      Gershman Hall, Elaine C. Levitt Auditorium, at Broad & Pine Streets.  Doors open at 1:15 p.m.; Forum will begin promptly at 2:00 p.m.
       Light refreshments will be served. Free childcare will be provided
      Gershman Hall is wheelchair accessible
      .  The event is free, but please RSVP here bit.ly/1eRyRry

      Do You Really Want a Drone Command Center in PA?
      Sidewalk Stand to Stop the Drone War Command Center begins at 12:30p.m. in front of Gershman Hall

      This Sunday, March 23, we hope your questions and voices will join with the voices of citizens from around the Delaware Valley at the Community Forum with Pennsylvania gubernatorial candidates.  The forum has been brought together by an array of progressive organizations across Philadelphia that share our  common commitment addressing issues of education, the schools-to-prison pipeline, women's rights, progressive tax policy, employment and jobs, energy and environment, healthcare, among others.

      We are urging you to attend the forum on Sunday to add your voice for justice, jobs, and the earth with all those already planning to attend, and to bring our message about the establishment in Pennsylvania of a drone war command center at the Horsham PA Air Guard station.  The governor of our state should have something to say about what a drone war command center in Pennsylvania, carrying out the remote-controlled killing of people thousands of miles away, means for our people and state.

      The governor should have something to say about the policy of "endless" wars, of drone warfare and related spying, including domestic surveillance, as an ever-expanding network of U.S. drone command, training, and deployment is being established around the world and, like in Horsham, PA, across our country,

      We need to raise a fundamental question with the PA gubernatorial candidates on Sunday:
      Do You Really Want a Drone War Command Center
      in Pennsylvania?

      We'll have signs asking that very question as well as signs and banners (for both outside and inside the hall), and leaflets for attenders.
      Plan to join us outside the
      Gershman Hall, Elaine C. Levitt Auditorium at 12:30p.m., and to go into the forum when doors open.

      Some background on the campaign to stop the drone war command center

      Since last April, we've been been protesting the establishment of a drone war command center, outside of Philadelphia, at the Horsham PA Air National Guard Station.

      Announced last March as a joint U.S. Air Force - PA Air National Guard operation, the command center for the use of remote-controlled MQ-9 Reaper drones in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Somalia, Yemen, and elsewhere, is part of a rapidly growing network of drone war command, training, and deployments bases across the country, most at State Air Guard installations.

      Though federally funded, the Horsham Air National Guard Station in Montgomery County is still Pennsylvania property, and the governor is head of the Guard and Air National Guard.

      Governor Thomas Corbett has voiced his support for the drone command center in Horsham, as has Democratic Rep. Allyson Schwartz, who is seeking the democratic nomination for governor. The chief support in Congress for the PA drone war command center has been Rep. Schwartz and Republican Representative Patrick Meehan, both of whose districts run through Montgomery County and Horsham Township.

      The campaign to stop the drone war command center was initiated by the Brandywine Peace Community and the American Friends Service Committee, with the participating endorsement of the following groups and activists: Bryn Mawr Peace Coalition, BuxMont Coalition for Peace Action, Catholic Peace Fellowship, Coalition for Peace Action, Death Walk Against Drones, Germantown Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers), LEPOCO (Lehigh-Pocono Committee of Concern), Main Line Peace Action, Vietnam Veterans Against the War, Granny Peace Brigade—Philadelphia, Global Women's Strike/Phila., Green Party of Philadelphia, Greens of Montgomery and Bucks County, Pacem in Terris (Wilmington, DE), Payday men's network/Phila., Peace Action - Philadelphia, Philly Against War; Peace Center of Delaware County, Peace & Justice Ministry of St. Vincent's Roman Catholic Church.

      Brandywine Peace Community
      P.O. Box 81, Swarthmore, PA 19081- (610) 544-1818
      http://www.brandywinepeace.com/events/