Herring Gull on lower Mad River 6 July

  • Rob Fowler
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 6, 2014
      Hi all,
      Since shorebird season is starting up I checked the lower Mad River (accessed from Hiller Park) during the falling tide. Best bird was a 1st cycle HERRING GULL present in the gull flock upstream from Hiller. Herring Gull is almost unheard of during the summer throughout California and most reports of this species during the summer months are in error. Only shorebirds was a single GREATER YELLOWLEGS, and 5 WESTERN SANDPIPERS + couple of heard LEASTS.

      I'll put some photos of the Herring up pretty soon.....

      --
      Rob Fowler
      McKinleyville, CA

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 6, 2014
          That is a very nice looking bird.

          ++++++++++

          monte merrick
          bird ally x/humboldt wildlife care center
          california council of wildlife rehabilitators
          ccwr advocacy committee

          (707)832-8385 cell
          (707)822-8839 clinic

          in alliance with wild animals and the people who care for them

          www.birdallyx.net
          www.humwild.org
          www.ccwr.org