Re: [nwcalbird] cornell rare bird alert

  • Ken Burton
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 2012
      Terry,

      To what rare bird alert are you referring?  Do you mean eBird?  Those filters are created by the reviewers and are fairly subjective.  I would guess that RUHU is regular in Del Norte from February to October, but there’s much we don’t know about local Selasphorus because of the difficulty of identifying females and juveniles.  We don’t even know whether RUHU nests anywhere in California.  Probably what happens is that the adults mostly pass through in early spring, mostly on the coast, on their way farther north to nest.  A few probably do stay to nest at higher elevations.  Then adult males would show up again by late spring/early summer when their job is done, followed by females and juveniles in mid-summer, mostly inland.

      How are YOU identifying females and juveniles?

      Ken Burton
      Arcata/Eureka