5461WHITE-THROATED SWIFTS in Del Norte Co.

  • Alan Barron
    Jun 13, 2014
      Finally, the long overdue first confirmed White-throated Swift record for Del Norte Co. was spotted today (2 birds) around noon by Gary and Lauren Lester near Klamath. I arrived later and saw two different birds each entering different drainage holes on the underside of the bridge. The birds where still in the bridge when I left an hour later (incubating?) whereas the many swallows are busy coming and going to feed young. Present are Rough-winged, Violet-green, and Barn Swallows, all entering holes also. Curiously a Barn and a Rough-winged are using the same hole, apparently the holes enter large roomy caverns.

      All these birds may be seen by taking the Klamath Beach Road exit off Hwy 101 before crossing the Klamath River from the south. At the stop sign, turn right on Klamath Beach Road and go under the overflow bridge and park well off on the other side and look back at the bridge from the east. Entrance holes are around the base of the piling .
      Present are Rough-winged, Violet-green, and Barn Swallows, all entering holes also. Curiously a Barn and a Rough-winged are using the same hole, apparently the holes enter large roomy caverns.
      A very vocal Red-breasted Sapsucker was hanging around this same area.

      Alan D. Barron