RE: [nwbluegrass] (unknown)

  • Dee Ann Davidshofer
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 3, 2002
      Personally, I've found the mic/mike/myque discussion to be one of the most
      useful events to happen on NW Bluegrass in quite some time. I learned quite
      a lot about how our AT4033 works, what other bands are doing for
      amplification, and what other potential options might be available.

      I appreciate the time and effort everyone put into providing their
      insights -- a forum such as this isn't only for publicizing events and
      socializing. It's also an avenue for education. We learn from one another.
      So, although no everyone may want to read through the many posts, realize
      there are many folks on this list who have benefited from the discussion.

      We could always go back to what is or isn't bluegrass...or not... :-)

      Dee Ann in Portland

      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 3, 2002
        I would enjoy having a list of the most popular 20 or so bluegrass jam
        tunes.

        Thanks,

        johnd
      • William Peabody
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 3, 2002
          there's a list of recommended jam tunes on Pete Wernicks site.
          www.drbanjo.com
        • johnd
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 3, 2002
            Hi William,

            Thanks for the info.
            I am terrible at site searchs and can not find the list there. Would you
            please give me more direction? (tab to the exact spot) ?

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 3, 2002
              WEll I did find it at:

              http://www.drbanjo.com/index2.html

              there's a list of recommended jam tunes on Pete Wernicks site.
              www.drbanjo.com

            • Mark Kramer
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 3, 2002
              • tonyisdbest
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 3, 2002
                  --- In nwbluegrass@y..., "johnd" <ilive@b...> wrote:

                  > Hi William,
                  >
                  > Thanks for the info.
                  > I am terrible at site searchs and can not find the list there.
                  Would you
                  > please give me more direction? (tab to the exact spot) ?

                  Uhh, John, it's been done . . . here, even.

                  Go to the nwbluegrass site:

                  At the bottom of the page there is a grey "search archive" button.
                  Just enter some search words like "jam tunes" or "top jam tunes" or
                  something creative in the blank field, and the relevant posts will
                  appear in a list.

                  Just click on one that looks promising and you'll find them.

                  You can do this for all kinds of stuff. It's great and saves time and
                  posts. The wheel should only be reinvented once a day.

                  Hope this helps,

                  tk
                • Shelah Spiegel
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 5, 2002
                    If it is instrumentals, try:
                    1. Bill Cheatham (A)
                    2. Remington Ride (G)
                    3. Clinch Mtn. Backstep (A)
                    4. Snowball (D)
                    5. Welcome to New York (D)
                    6. Red Haired Boy (A)
                    7. Hot Burrito Breakdown (A or G)
                    8. Big Mon (A)
                    This help?
                    shelah
                    johnd <ilive@...> wrote:
                    I would enjoy having a list of the most popular 20 or so bluegrass jam
                    tunes.

                    Thanks,

                    johnd

                    Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                  • Sally Metts
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 5, 2002
                      Shelah,

                      I am the original jam ho and I never heard of "Snowball" "Welcome to New
                      York" or "Hot Burrito Breakdown". I would respectfully add:

                      Cherokee Shuffle
                      Old Joe Clark (the only one I actually have a bass break worked out for)
                      Whiskey Before Breakfast
                      Soldier's Joy
                      Ashokan Farewell
                      Big Sandy River
                      Salt Creek
                      St. Anne's Reel
                      Over the Waterfall
                      Bile the Cabbage (if you have any beginning fiddlers or kids ya gotta have
                      this one)
                      Redwing
                      Golden Slippers
                      Liberty
                      Panhandle Rag (okay, this is not THAT common, but it's my fave)
                      Ragtime Annie (2 parts only)
                      Lonesome Fiddle Blues (great with a dobro)
                      Dear Ol' Dixie
                      Dixie Hoedown
                      Fireball Mail
                      Bluegrass Breakdown
                      Black Hairy Possum (hee, hee, hee!)

                      These are just off the top of my head and they are only instrumentals. Joe??

                      -Rhythm Thumpin' Sal of Scio, OR

                    • Shelah Spiegel
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 5, 2002
                        Ms. Sally -- you ain't never heard Alan Mundy's Snowball? Cool tune. Welcome to NY is a tune we all play lots down here (see BCH from about 1980s). Hot Burrito is a Country Gazette tune from around the 70's. All very nifty. Since I'm also a fiddle hoe -- I can jam wit de best of dem! What's with: Ashokan Farewell; Bile the Cabbage; Redwing; Golden Slippers; Black Hairy Possum (hee, hee, hee!) Yikes! Not is the jams I play in! Black hairy what???
                        shelah

                      • Bob Bickers
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 5, 2002
                          Where does "Roses in the Snow," "Ol Slue/slo/slew Foot." and "Fox on the
                          Run" fit into "the good, the bad and the whatever" list? Bob, in that
                          bluegrass desert called Sutherlin
                        • Tjac IBN
                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 5, 2002
                            Ref: Earlier Post!
                            You probably know by now, but....!
                            Welcome to New York was written by Bill Emerson and Doyle Lawson (according
                            to my not-always-so-correct notes from CD inserts). Bill Emerson introduced
                            the tune at the "Country Gentleman" concert at the Shamrock in Washington,
                            DC (circa 1971). At the time, he called it "My Aria". Lawson once said
                            that Bill Emerson had a knack for playing tunes out of a C position."
                            One of the best versions I have heard is actually by an extremely hot BG
                            Canadian band called Canadian Whitewater. WTNY is foot-stomping music! I
                            keep Canadian Whitewater's CD next to the computer when I want to bring my
                            spirits up a notch. It gets played a lot on Mondays!
                            Tjac

                            Island Bluegrass Newsletter
                            Vancouver Island, BC, Canada