Re: [nwbluegrass] Re: Calling all Dawg's .... fans

  • Marv Sobolesky
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 14, 2013
      Your in for a real treat!!! I saw Dawg at Wintergrass for first time. Jaw dropping!

      Marv Sobolesky

      On Sep 14, 2013, at 8:45 PM, Mark Steudel <msteudel@...> wrote:

      Woo hoo! Awesome and I've never seen David Grisman before! Wow and at Jazz Alley thanks!!!

      On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 8:43 AM, Joe <rossjoe@...> wrote:

      --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, Mark Steudel <msteudel@...> wrote:

      > Ralph Rinzler?

      CONGRATS to Mark on winning the pair of tix to Grisman's Friday 27 Sept show at 9:30 pm at Jazz Alley in Seattle.

      The question was:
      Who does David Grisman consider to be his musical guru?

      Answer:

      There's only one correct answer - Ralph Rinzler. According to Grisman, Rinzler was a personal friend, mentor and musical guru.

      "We met when Ralph was twelve and I was two. My mother was Ralph's art teacher and had brought me into class. Years later, as a teenager, listening to the Kingston Trio, I re-encountered Ralph when he came into my junior high school English class and played the guitar, banjo, and mandolin. This was the first mandolin playing that I can remember hearing. And I did remember! From that day forward, Ralph was my musical guru. Beyond that, he taught me countless other lessons too numerous and profound to detail in limited space."

      I recommend Ralph on the Greenbriar Boys albums. Ralph documented many recordings for the Library of Congress, including the incredible Doc Watson & Clarence Ashley double CD. In his memory, the Smithsonian Institute created the Ralph Rinzler Folklife Archives and Collections at the Center for Folklife and Cultural Heritage. The collection includes more than 17,000 commercially released discs, more than 2000 CDs, 4000 acetate discs, 45,000 audio tapes, 2000 videotapes, and more than 500,000 feet of motion picture film. He also received the IBMA Award of Merit in 1987. He died in 1994.

      We'll have another ticket giveaway in a few days!

      Mark Steudel
      P: 425.298.7244
      F: 206.260.3021
      msteudel@...

      . : Adoption Updates : .
      http://www.steudel.org/blog

      . : Work : .
      http://www.mindfulinteractive.com

      . : LinkedIn : .
      http://www.linkedin.com/in/steudel

    • Eight Dollar Mountain
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 15, 2013
      • j ARCHITECTS
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 15, 2013
          Jethro

          --
          j ARCHITECTS

          Jim Rymsza, A.I.A.
          6823 30th Avenue NE, Seattle  WA  98115
          (Office) 2 0 6 . 5 2 6 . 0 7 0 7
          (Fax) 2 0 6 . 2 1 9 . 1 8 4 8
          (Cell) 2 0 6 . 7 7 8 . 4 1 8 2
          (Web)  www.jarchitect.net

          The opening and/or possession of any attachment(s) to this e-mail is your acceptance of the
          Agreement to Obtain Electronic Files located at http://www.jarchitect.net/disclaimer.htm
        • Joe
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 15, 2013
            Check out what they played at Jazz Alley back in Nov 2008:

            http://www.acousticoasisdownloads.com/packages/2,111/David-Grisman-Quintet-mp3-flac-Live-at-Jazz-Alley-2007.html

            11/2/2008: 'Lil Samba, Cinderella's Fella, Janice, Acousticity, Band Intros, Nuages, Dawg's Groove, Tracy's Tune, Swing '42, Newmonia

            11/3/2008: EMD, Fiddler Medley, Blues For Vassar, Steppin' with Stephane, Swingin' with Svend, Band Intros, Bag's Groove, Waltz For Lucy, Mad Max, In A Sentimental Mood, Dawg's Waltz, April's Wedding Bossa, Gypsy Swing

            NICE!

            Many of these tunes from Jazz Alley are also on You Tube, such as:

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rik21L49fiI "Gypsy Swing"

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFl2TDGuAW8 "Newmonia"

            ... and several more ....