Re: [nwbluegrass] Calling all Dawg's .... fans

  • Mark Steudel
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 13, 2013
      Ralph Rinzler?

      On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 1:29 PM, peter@newearthmusic <pt@...> wrote:

      Jerry Garcia?

      Thanks,

      Peter

      www.lakecitymusic.net

      206-465-9383

      From: nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com [mailto:nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of P. Liley
      Sent: Friday, September 13, 2013 9:45 AM
      To: nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [nwbluegrass] Calling all Dawg's .... fans

        Django Reinhardt

      ----- Original Message -----

      From: Joe

      Sent: Friday, September 13, 2013 8:17 AM

      Subject: [nwbluegrass] Calling all Dawg's .... fans

      David Grisman Quintet is appearing in Seattle (at Jazz Alley) on Sept 26-29. They're presenting six shows during that period.

      A special trivia contest just for folks here on NWBluegrass yahoogroup ......

      Like to win a couple free tickets (value $53) to a David Grisman Quintet concert at Jazz Alley in Seattle?

      The tickets are for the 9:30 pm show on Friday Sept 27th.

      To win the pair of tickets, be the first to correctly answer this question:

      WHEN IT COMES TO MUSIC, WHO DOES DAVID GRISMAN CONSIDER TO BE HIS GURU?

      There's only one correct answer ... If at first you don't get it, keep trying! You may submit a different answer every day until they're gone! Good luck ....

      For more info about DGQ and his upcoming Seattle shows, see the NEW Jazz Alley website is at:

      http://www.jazzalley.com/www-home/artist.jsp?shownum=1315

      Mark Steudel
      P: 425.298.7244
      F: 206.260.3021
      msteudel@...

      . : Adoption Updates : .
      http://www.steudel.org/blog

      . : Work : .
      http://www.mindfulinteractive.com

      . : LinkedIn : .
      http://www.linkedin.com/in/steudel
    • Joe
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 14, 2013
        --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, Mark Steudel <msteudel@...> wrote:

        > Ralph Rinzler?

        CONGRATS to Mark on winning the pair of tix to Grisman's Friday 27 Sept show at 9:30 pm at Jazz Alley in Seattle.

        The question was:
        Who does David Grisman consider to be his musical guru?

        Answer:

        There's only one correct answer - Ralph Rinzler. According to Grisman, Rinzler was a personal friend, mentor and musical guru.

        "We met when Ralph was twelve and I was two. My mother was Ralph's art teacher and had brought me into class. Years later, as a teenager, listening to the Kingston Trio, I re-encountered Ralph when he came into my junior high school English class and played the guitar, banjo, and mandolin. This was the first mandolin playing that I can remember hearing. And I did remember! From that day forward, Ralph was my musical guru. Beyond that, he taught me countless other lessons too numerous and profound to detail in limited space."

        I recommend Ralph on the Greenbriar Boys albums. Ralph documented many recordings for the Library of Congress, including the incredible Doc Watson & Clarence Ashley double CD. In his memory, the Smithsonian Institute created the Ralph Rinzler Folklife Archives and Collections at the Center for Folklife and Cultural Heritage. The collection includes more than 17,000 commercially released discs, more than 2000 CDs, 4000 acetate discs, 45,000 audio tapes, 2000 videotapes, and more than 500,000 feet of motion picture film. He also received the IBMA Award of Merit in 1987. He died in 1994.

        We'll have another ticket giveaway in a few days!
        Joe
      • Mark Steudel
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 14, 2013
          Woo hoo! Awesome and I've never seen David Grisman before! Wow and at Jazz Alley thanks!!!

          On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 8:43 AM, Joe <rossjoe@...> wrote:

          --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, Mark Steudel <msteudel@...> wrote:

          > Ralph Rinzler?

          CONGRATS to Mark on winning the pair of tix to Grisman's Friday 27 Sept show at 9:30 pm at Jazz Alley in Seattle.

          The question was:
          Who does David Grisman consider to be his musical guru?

          Answer:

          There's only one correct answer - Ralph Rinzler. According to Grisman, Rinzler was a personal friend, mentor and musical guru.

          "We met when Ralph was twelve and I was two. My mother was Ralph's art teacher and had brought me into class. Years later, as a teenager, listening to the Kingston Trio, I re-encountered Ralph when he came into my junior high school English class and played the guitar, banjo, and mandolin. This was the first mandolin playing that I can remember hearing. And I did remember! From that day forward, Ralph was my musical guru. Beyond that, he taught me countless other lessons too numerous and profound to detail in limited space."

          I recommend Ralph on the Greenbriar Boys albums. Ralph documented many recordings for the Library of Congress, including the incredible Doc Watson & Clarence Ashley double CD. In his memory, the Smithsonian Institute created the Ralph Rinzler Folklife Archives and Collections at the Center for Folklife and Cultural Heritage. The collection includes more than 17,000 commercially released discs, more than 2000 CDs, 4000 acetate discs, 45,000 audio tapes, 2000 videotapes, and more than 500,000 feet of motion picture film. He also received the IBMA Award of Merit in 1987. He died in 1994.

          We'll have another ticket giveaway in a few days!

          Mark Steudel
          P: 425.298.7244
          F: 206.260.3021
          msteudel@...

          . : Adoption Updates : .
          http://www.steudel.org/blog

          . : Work : .
          http://www.mindfulinteractive.com

          . : LinkedIn : .
          http://www.linkedin.com/in/steudel
        • Marv Sobolesky
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 14, 2013
            Your in for a real treat!!! I saw Dawg at Wintergrass for first time. Jaw dropping!

            Marv Sobolesky

            On Sep 14, 2013, at 8:45 PM, Mark Steudel <msteudel@...> wrote:

            Woo hoo! Awesome and I've never seen David Grisman before! Wow and at Jazz Alley thanks!!!

            On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 8:43 AM, Joe <rossjoe@...> wrote:

            --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, Mark Steudel <msteudel@...> wrote:

            > Ralph Rinzler?

            CONGRATS to Mark on winning the pair of tix to Grisman's Friday 27 Sept show at 9:30 pm at Jazz Alley in Seattle.

            The question was:
            Who does David Grisman consider to be his musical guru?

            Answer:

            There's only one correct answer - Ralph Rinzler. According to Grisman, Rinzler was a personal friend, mentor and musical guru.

            "We met when Ralph was twelve and I was two. My mother was Ralph's art teacher and had brought me into class. Years later, as a teenager, listening to the Kingston Trio, I re-encountered Ralph when he came into my junior high school English class and played the guitar, banjo, and mandolin. This was the first mandolin playing that I can remember hearing. And I did remember! From that day forward, Ralph was my musical guru. Beyond that, he taught me countless other lessons too numerous and profound to detail in limited space."

            I recommend Ralph on the Greenbriar Boys albums. Ralph documented many recordings for the Library of Congress, including the incredible Doc Watson & Clarence Ashley double CD. In his memory, the Smithsonian Institute created the Ralph Rinzler Folklife Archives and Collections at the Center for Folklife and Cultural Heritage. The collection includes more than 17,000 commercially released discs, more than 2000 CDs, 4000 acetate discs, 45,000 audio tapes, 2000 videotapes, and more than 500,000 feet of motion picture film. He also received the IBMA Award of Merit in 1987. He died in 1994.

            We'll have another ticket giveaway in a few days!

            Mark Steudel
            P: 425.298.7244
            F: 206.260.3021
            msteudel@...

            . : Adoption Updates : .
            http://www.steudel.org/blog

            . : Work : .
            http://www.mindfulinteractive.com

            . : LinkedIn : .
            http://www.linkedin.com/in/steudel

          • Eight Dollar Mountain
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 15, 2013
            • j ARCHITECTS
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 15, 2013
                Jethro

                --
                j ARCHITECTS

                Jim Rymsza, A.I.A.
                6823 30th Avenue NE, Seattle  WA  98115
                (Office) 2 0 6 . 5 2 6 . 0 7 0 7
                (Fax) 2 0 6 . 2 1 9 . 1 8 4 8
                (Cell) 2 0 6 . 7 7 8 . 4 1 8 2
                (Web)  www.jarchitect.net

                The opening and/or possession of any attachment(s) to this e-mail is your acceptance of the
                Agreement to Obtain Electronic Files located at http://www.jarchitect.net/disclaimer.htm
              • Joe
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 15, 2013
                  Check out what they played at Jazz Alley back in Nov 2008:

                  http://www.acousticoasisdownloads.com/packages/2,111/David-Grisman-Quintet-mp3-flac-Live-at-Jazz-Alley-2007.html

                  11/2/2008: 'Lil Samba, Cinderella's Fella, Janice, Acousticity, Band Intros, Nuages, Dawg's Groove, Tracy's Tune, Swing '42, Newmonia

                  11/3/2008: EMD, Fiddler Medley, Blues For Vassar, Steppin' with Stephane, Swingin' with Svend, Band Intros, Bag's Groove, Waltz For Lucy, Mad Max, In A Sentimental Mood, Dawg's Waltz, April's Wedding Bossa, Gypsy Swing

                  NICE!

                  Many of these tunes from Jazz Alley are also on You Tube, such as:

                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rik21L49fiI "Gypsy Swing"

                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFl2TDGuAW8 "Newmonia"

                  ... and several more ....